ST-8300 tilted CCD

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by AstroSteve, Jan 23, 2015.

1. AstroSteve

AstroSteve Standard User

I have just acquired a second-hand ST-8300M camera, but have found that the CCD is tilted. My Canon 6D - a much larger chip - shows perfect images across the entire field, as does a borrowed STF-8300M to which I attached the filter wheel and OAG. The ST-8300 shows tilt when used with the EOS lens adaptor, too, so I'm sure that the problem lies with the chip and nothing else. Is it possible to fix it without having to send it half way around the world and be without it for months?

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Steve,
    Send me an email and we can talk about this, bill@sbig.com.

-Bill

3. AstroSteve

AstroSteve Standard User

Based on what Bill told me - and ignoring his sensible advice to send it to him to fix - I took the chamber lid off and pressed the CCD chip down firmly. Click. Now seated properly and now producing in-focus stars across the whole chip. I had the chamber lid open for perhaps 20 seconds at most and I think I managed to do it without getting too much dust on the chip. Very luck that it was this simple - it could have been many other things according to Bill. This camera has been around the world in checked-in luggage and could easily have suffered many bumps over its life, so a chip coming very slightly dislodged was quite plausible. It did look slightly non-flat as viewed through the chamber window so I thought I'd risk it - and I seem to have succeeded with no ill effects.

Thanks Bill.

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

You're welcome Steve. I'm glad it worked out for you.

-Bill