ST-8300M w/ FW5-8300 Question

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by DezKelz, Aug 2, 2018.

1. DezKelz

DezKelz Standard User

Hi all,
    I've been using this demo of Maxim DL 6 with my STF-8300 with no issues, but I've recently purchased a use ST-8300M w/ FW5-8300 filter wheel because I've been wanting to try my hand with monochrome/colour-filter astrophotography.

Unfortunately, I'm having a little difficulty with getting it set up to start imaging. After the drivers installed easily since I already have the 64-bit DriverChecker software installed, I'm attempting to get the system configured in MDL6 and my trouble is getting the filter wheel sorted. In the filter wheel settings it's asking about the COM port that I should be connecting to, but when I check in the computer's Device Manager, there is no COM port being used by the camera/filter wheel. Further troubleshooting that I did was following the manual for this camera and using CCDOps. I can get the camera setup configured, but after choosing the CFW9 filter wheel, (which isn't available in the MDL6 filter drop-down) it still asks for a COM port.

Is there something wrong with the camera/filter wheel that is not opening a COM port, or am I overlooking something?

Oh, and in case it's important (and very well may be) I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ignore the COM port setting, it's only used for the obsolete CFW-10 serial. Just select SBIG Universal and Model = "Standard" for the filter wheel.

3. DezKelz

DezKelz Standard User

Hi Doug, thanks for that info. I guess that wasn't the problem then...

What I'm getting when I try to connect is an "Error opening camera - Could not initialize CCD camera (35)", which your error code page states "Filter wheel error."

I tried connecting without the camera and that returned "Error opening camera - Could not initialize CCD camera (1001)", which your error code page states "Couldn't find SX driver DLL"

As well, inside Device Manager, the device is listed as SBIG USB Camera with Firmware.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

5. DezKelz

DezKelz Standard User

Thanks, but I don't have permission to access it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Oh okay it's in the private support section. I'll send you a private message.

7. DezKelz

DezKelz Standard User

Okay, I got it. Thank you. I'll try it out later today

8. DezKelz

DezKelz Standard User

Hey Doug, I think that did the trick. Thanks!

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

FYI we're releasing 6.18 today, which will fix that for everyone.

10. Pieter Strauss

Pieter Strauss Cyanogen Customer

Yay! I was just going to open an issue. Downloading 6.18 as we speak. Thanks!