ST-i guider producing blank images (zero ADU counts)

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Kevin Ivarsen, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Kevin Ivarsen

Kevin Ivarsen Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

We have an ST-i guide camera connected to a Windows 7 machine with the most recent SBIG drivers (according to SBIGDriverChecker). When we take an image either with Maxim DL or CCDOps, we generally get blank images (all pixels = 0 ADU counts). On rare occasions we'll get some non-zero ADU counts in the first few pixels of the top row. I've attached some sample FITS files. These are all unprocessed images, without auto darks or other calibrations being applied.

We had somebody on site unplug the USB cable and clean the connectors at both ends, but we are still seeing the same behavior.

Are there any other tests you can recommend?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Quick check - does the camera get warm when you are operating it? (Plugged in AND taking pictures)

If not, then part of the power supply has failed and it will need service.

What is your camera serial number?

Doug

3. Kevin Ivarsen

Doug,

Thanks for the quick reply! The camera is at a remote site, but I can have somebody check the serial number and the camera temperature tomorrow afternoon.

When I have them feel the camera for warmth, should I have the camera take continuous 1 second exposures for a few minutes first?

Cheers,
    Kevin

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, that will work. It should be warm to the touch when operating normally.

5. Kevin Ivarsen

Hi Doug,

The serial number for the ST-i camera is 12231.

The technician at the remote site reports that the ST-i felt warm, even before any exposures were taken. I don't think he checked the temperature while taking exposures.

The camera has been removed from the telescope in order to test it with a different USB cable and a different hub, all with the same result. Should we plan to send it in for further testing?

Thanks!
    Kevin

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

7. Kevin Ivarsen

Will do. Thanks Doug!

Kevin