ST-i not connecting on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Dan Drew, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Dan Drew

Dan Drew Standard User

I have been using the ST-i guider on Windows 7 without problems for years, but for several reasons I needed to buy a new laptop for astrophotography. Now I cannot get the ST-i to connect with CCDOps, PHD2, or TheSkyX.

On the Windows 10 laptop I downloaded the latest SBIG Driver Checker 64, and updated using the SBIG PDF online instructions and made sure all drivers were up to date.

The Device Manager lists the camera under "SBIG USB Devices" as "SBIG USB-64 Camera With Firmware" with no exclamation point next to it.

The green light on the back of the camera is on. The Graphics/Comm Setup is set for USB Interface. When I click EstLink, I can hear the shutter click, but then get an error message:

"No camera could be found. Please make sure it is connected to the correct port and that the Graphics/Comm Setup command in the Misc menu is setup correctly."

I confirmed that the Graphics/Comm Setup is correct.

With PHD2, I get the similar light and click, but the error message says "Cannot open SBIG camera: Code 27."

Is there a solution for this camera in Windows 10?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you using a USB hub?

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like not enough power - the ST-I uses almost full USB power. That might explain why it drops out when you actuate the shutter. Try using a powered hub.

4. Dan Drew

Dan Drew Standard User

Thanks. I think you nailed it. Originally during this exercise, it was plugged into my Paramount MyT USB hub originally, which I thought was powered well, but maybe I don't understand what the max power is on those USB ports on the Versaplate. (The mount was using AC power at my house.) Then I tried a direct connection to my new laptop, and had no luck. But I installed Windows 10 on my desktop and tried it through a powered hub, and I was able to connect! I will have to find some other way of keeping it powered when I'm in the field imaging.

Dan

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member