Resolved STF-402 vs. ST-402

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Brian D. Warner, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Brian D. Warner

Brian D. Warner Standard User

Software Bisque said I should come here. I think you may say go back there <g>

I have five ST-402s used for guiding. One was built in the last year. I'm trying to connect that newer one in SkyX Professional.

If I choose ST402/<and others> for the camera type, SkyX says a camera is found but it's not the type chosen. The only way I can get SkyX to connect is to select the STF-8300 (the only camera I saw with STF prefix.

I used a custom program that works with the SBIGUDdrv GetCameraInfo command and the four older cameras report

Name: SBIG ST-402 CCD Camera (no 'F')
    HPix: 9.00
    VPix: 9.00
    Rows: 510
    Cols: 765

While the newer camera adds an 'F' to the name,

Name: SBIG STF-0402 CCD Camera
    HPix: 9.00
    VPix: 9.00
    Rows: 510
    Cols: 765

Both sets return the correct size and number of pixels for a 402, so I don't think it's what SB suggested in that the camera is reporting that it's an STF-8300.

Did the the model line for the 402s change in the last year or such that the driver now reports the camera is part of the STF series, is this a bug in the SBIGUDrv, a bug in SkyX, or has my luck finally all run out?

Thanks for any help.

Brian D. Warner
    Center for Solar System Studies - Palmer Divide Station.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The ST-402 camera has been discontinued and replaced with a new STF-402 camera. This redesign was triggered by a parts obsolescence issue with the old ST circuit board. Same for the STF-1602 and STF-3200.

3. Brian D. Warner

Brian D. Warner Standard User

Hi Doug,
    Thanks! That solves that mystery. I'll let Software Bisque know so that SkyX can be modified as they see fit.