STF 8300 will not connect to computer

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Richard Willits, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Richard Willits

Richard Willits Standard User

This is like the nightmare that won't go away. I have three good computers; i5 laptop, i7 laptop, an another i7 mini tower. A few weeks ago, when doing darks with my i7 laptop, the camera disconnected (software) it was not recognized by the computer. Everything was tried. Even Tim took a go at it. The first day it wouldn't connect to my i5 laptop, but the next day it connected, and there after. It would connect always to my i7 mini tower. After every possible thing was tried, I finally lobotomized the laptop that it would not connect to. I started from factory disc and reloaded the Windows operating system and all the programs (about one week). It then worked. It worked on all the computers.
    Today I am getting ready to image and the Mini tower (I only use this computer for capture), would not recognize the camera. The older computer also would not recognize the camera. I've tried everything. I am afraid to connect it to the computer that I just spent a week fixing. It is exactly like what happened a few weeks ago.
    While I'm setting here writing this, I'm thinking if there is anything that I haven't tried. I thought that this whole problem started with the camera not working in the cold. Perhaps temperature. I aimed the hair drier that I sometimes use for dew at the camera. The camera started at about 65F (ambient) and I warmed it to warm (not as hot as something in the sun). Connected it to the computer and it was immediately recognized. CCDOps worked. I Then I connected it to the other computer and it also connected and worked. This whole letter has been in a time frame of about 40 minutes. What do you think that I should do now ??

2. Richard Willits

The message that would pop-out on the windows screen when the camera would not connect was "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it". I tried different cables that I knew where good and it made no difference. I restarted and reconnected, and eliminated everything that is simple. The solution is not a simple one. There is not a problem with the computers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Is the power cable secure? If you wiggle the power connector, is there any power disruption to the camera?

Are you using a USB hub?

4. Richard Willits

I tried different power connectors. I tried it with and without an active extension cable. I had the camera on the table in front of me between the two computers.

5. Richard Willits

I tried it again this evening. Everything is still on the table, where I left it. Today, it connected to the Dell tower, but not to the older Dell laptop. I tried every combination and as soon as I plug in the USB cable, or power up the camera the same message pops up. "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it". This camera never had this problem until the camera was sent in and new firmware was installed to solve the temperature problem. Could fixing one problem, create an other ? This camera should just plug in and work like everything else. HELP.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. Richard Willits

It appears that Bill Lynch, in your repair department found a defective device on the main board. He installed a new board to my STF 8300 and it is now being returned. Bill sent me a picture of the defective board. Thanks for sticking with it, and thanks Bill.