STF-8300m : MaximDL - Camera error 52 / Prism v10 - Fatal Error

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Pierre-Laurent, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Pierre-Laurent

Pierre-Laurent Standard User

Hi all,

Follow my firmware issue on my STF (http://forum.diffractionlimited.com...rmware-issue-when-i-tried-to-update-him.2503/), the camera has been repaired by Bill and now work on CCDOps but I experience some difficulties with MaximDl (5.24 and 6) or Prism v10.

With MaximDL, I can set the temperature and take an image but when it's time to download it I have this error : Erreur Maxim DL.PNG This indicate an "OS error" but I don't know if that concern the firmware CCD or the OS on my laptop. The error is the same in MaximDL v5.24 or v6.

With Prism v10 I've the following error : Prismv10.PNG

I tested with another USB cable and the CCD is connect directly on my laptop for the tests.

Thanks to you,
    Pierre-Laurent

2. Pierre-Laurent

Oh shit... :( It's my USB cables !
    I have make tests with two cables of 3 meters and it seems it too long for SBIG CCD...

Can anyone confirm that ?

I've no error with à 1,5 meter câble.

So why it works on CCDOps with a 3 meters USB cable ? I don't understand.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Which version of 6? 6.13.08 ?
    I think it depends on how fast the program can request the data... the older software can't handle the full speed.

4. Pierre-Laurent

This is 6.13.
    If it's depend of how programs are recents, Prism v10 would not have the same problem.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The maximum cable length specification for USB is 5m. At 6m - plus a connector in the middle possibly creating more impedance matching issues - it will not be reliable.

As for the software, it may be a function of the traffic level. MaxIm DL polls a bit faster to optimize performance. If you're dropping a huge number of packets then the traffic will "jam up".