Resolved STF-8300M not recognized?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Donald Smith, May 20, 2019.

1. Donald Smith

Donald Smith Standard User

Good morning,

After 10 years of working with a Windows 7 computer, I have switched over to a new computer that is running Windows 10. I have managed to get it to talk to the weather station, cloud monitor, dome, focus motor, and telescope mount, but when I plug in the STF-8300M, I get an error message "USB device not recognized -- The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it". When I turn on the power outlet, the red light comes on the back of the unit, and I hear the usual clicking of the filter wheel. I have updated all the drivers according to SBIGDriverChecker64 (see image). I've also included a screen grab of the "Properties" window that I get from the device manager.

It worked fine the last time I tried using it with the old computer, maybe two weeks ago.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for how I can move forward here.

Thanks,

Don Smith
    Guilford College

DriverCheck.png

Properties.png

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Try a different USB cable. Get rid of any hub you might be using. Try a different USB port on the computer.

Failing that, it is possible in Device Manager to manually tell the device to load the proper driver. If you can’t figure that out Tim can explain the procedure tomorrow (statutory holiday today so no one is in).

3. Donald Smith

Donald Smith Standard User

That worked! I had to try a couple different ports, but the third time was the charm, and now everything is working!!! Thank you so much!

I'm really glad I didn't have to swap out the cable, because that cable goes under the floor and eventually up through the mount, and it would have been a MAJOR operation to replace it. But trying a different port did the trick! Whew!

Yours,

Don