STF-8300m white image issue

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Ariel Dominguez, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ariel Dominguez

Ariel Dominguez Standard User

Hi,
    I have purchased a STF-8300m some months ago. I tested it when it arrived, taken some pictures with my scopes and it worked as expected.
    Then I decided to buy the FW5 8300 filter wheel with the LRGB filter set to complete the setup.
    After installing it, I did some tests and I found that now I only get white pictures from the camera. I tested it with lights and darks, with many exposure times. It seems that there isn't any data to display, not even noise or hot pixels, just a flat white picture, you can adjust the histogram/contrast/etc. and nothing is revealed.
    The filter wheel responds fine to the commands, and the adquisition process doesn't show any errors.
    I have upgraded the drivers/firmware, tried on many PC's (Win XP, Win 7, Win 8) and capture Apps (CCDOps, Maxim DL), changed usb cables, removed the FW, etc... same issue always.
    I'm out of ideas, anyone experience something similar?
    Thanks for your help.

Ariel Dominguez
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Ariel,
    I would ask Bill Lynch about this in repair bill@sbig.com

Regards
    Tim

3. Ariel Dominguez

Hi Tim,
    I've been in contact with Bill, this post is in fact his suggestion. We want to be sure that it's not a software issue before sending it to Sbig repair department.
    All I got from my research is this other post:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/475157-trouble-with-my-sbig-8300m/

Seems the same issue, and it was apparently a hardware problem.
    Thanks for your concern.

Regards,

Ariel

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Can you send a copy of the original FITS image for us to examine?

5. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

could you put fits file (not jpeg) somewhere to dropbox ?
    jan

6. Ariel Dominguez

7. Jan Soldan

Ariel,
    here are a few notes:

1) You should use the newest driver from SBIG web page. The proper installation steps are:
    - Download the SetupDriverChecker64.exe from SBIG web page: http://www.sbig.com/support/software/
    - Run that installer, then press "Update" button

If you already had an older DriverChecker64 installed from your CDROM, simple use of "Download" and "Update" buttons
    need not work properly due to an additional Microsoft libraries embedded inside the SetupDriverChecker64 app.

2) You should also use the newest CCDOPS application downloaded from SBIG web page mentioned above, because you use
    older one - v5.54, b12, while the current version is 5.57, b1.

Furthermore, you have also updated your firmware. This is not so much recommended and should be done very carefully and
    only if quite necessary: http://www.diffractionlimited.com/f...e-when-updating-firmware-of-sbig-cameras.195/
    Could you go to the firmware pane inside the DriverChecker64 and press "Get Firmware Version From Camera" button and show us a copy of your installed firmwares ?

On the other hand, there may be some hardware problems with camera's shutter. Could you remove your optics and see if your shutter moves (opens / closes)
    when you grab images ? Does your shutter fully cover CCD chip ? If not, there is a procedure how you can adjust it yourself using CCDOPS application.
    Please check shutter of your camera and let us know.

Jan

8. Ariel Dominguez

Hi Jan,
    thanks for your comments.
    I think I've tried all that. When I took the image yesterday I used one of my 3 notebooks that maybe didn't have the latest version of drivers/ccdops, but I remember downloading/installing them on the tests I did.
    I also updated the firmware, I did that only because of this issue, I'm not a fan of these procedures because of the risks involved (I'm a systems engineer).
    The shutter is fine, that was one of the first things I checked.
    Tonight I'll recheck all systems versions and inform you.
    Regards,

Ariel

9. Jan Soldan

Hi,
    the most important thing is not to combine the latest sbig driver with an older CCDOPS application.
    On the other hand you said, that it didn't work also with Maxim DL, so the problem may be
    inside the hardware, but this is only my guess. In the case of hardware problem, you should
    contact harware expert Bill Lynch at bill @ sbig . com
    Regards,
    Jan

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

What is the camera pointed at when you take this exposure? The image seems completely saturated. Does the same thing occur with a shorter exposure, 0.5s...or 0.01s for example?

11. Ariel Dominguez

12. Jan Soldan

Ariel,
    firmwares seem to be all right, I have the same versions inside my stf-8300, so it looks like hardware problem...
    jan

13. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I think you're right Ariel, it should come in.

14. Ariel Dominguez

OK guys, it seems unanimous, thank you so much for your help.
    It's true about what is said in the astrophotography world about SBIG customer support, you are outstanding.
    Best regards,

Ariel

15. Bill

I 2nd that! Outstanding job of Support Tim, Tim and Jan!

16. Bill

Ariel,

I haven't seen your camera yet so I don't know where you're at as far as sending it in, but I just fixed a STF this past week with the same problem. The 5 volt regulator had failed. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the same thing has happened in your camera too.

-Bill

17. Ariel Dominguez

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your comments.
    I'm on vacation till next week, I was planning to send the camera as soon as I'm back.
    It'll maybe sounds crazy but is there something I can try to do to test the regulator? and possibly repair it? Sending it back to you would cost me about u$s 1200 in customs charges/carriers (if I do this in the legal way for my country Argentina).
    Well, I had to ask, sorry if I was too naughty...
    Thanks anyway for your help.

Ariel

18. Bill

Wow, that's an incredible amount of money! Unfortunately, I would not consider this a User serviceable part. It's easy enough to measure the output but I have to tear the whole camera down to replace it.
    You really have to pay that much to return a product to the manufacturer for a warranty repair? It's not like you're buying it new.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  19. Ariel Dominguez

Bill,
    It's hard for me to explain the situation in Argentina, we have insane taxes for personal imported products (about 50% of the product price plus shipping costs) and we are not authorized to receive used products (this counts as an used item). So if you are lucky to be informed by the mail that your package arrived to the customs house, you have to deal with the authorities, fill a report, pay the tax and then you have to wait in the line for 3 hours praying to be attended by some benevolent guy who maybe will authorize the deliver.
    This is why I would dare to repair it myself... :)
    So as you see this hobby is not for impatient people here, I'm thinking about some vacations on the west coast next year and taking the camera with me for the repair job, at least the plane ticket will be for free...
    Sorry for my long catharsis. I apreciate your concern.
    Regards,

Ariel

20. Bill