STF8300c dessicant plug

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Phil Sheehan, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Phil Sheehan

Phil Sheehan Standard User

Probably due to the almost daily rain events here in Queensland Australia, my STF8300c has begun frosting over and now again requires baking of the dessicant.

(This particular camera came from the supplier with the window frosting over and was sent back to the factory)

The humidity at present is over 80% daily, so I am mindful that the dessicant opening in the camera needs to be adequately plugged to prevent the humid air from entering the cavity.

I don't think putting a bit of tape over the hole is such a good idea in this climate.

It would be much better to plug the hole using the plug SB-50141 that is advertised as being supplied with the camera but unfortunately was not included.

I don't mind paying for the supply of this plug if it is available. (OPT show it as 'waiting list')

Last weekend the weather finally cleared for two fantastic imaging nights but my images were spoiled by frosting on the cover glass of the camera.

I would appreciate a reply from SBig on the availability of these plugs and also spare dessicant so that a swap may be carried out on the night instead of waiting to bake the dessicant.

regards,

Phil Sheehan

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Phil,
    I would think the plug would be shipped with it installed on the camera.
    There is a dummy plug- sb-50141 as well.

# MS-DESICCANTSTL
    Desiccant Plug, STL in stock $100.00 each

The STL version will fit the STL and STX-16803 cameras.

# MS-DESICCANTST
    Desiccant Plug, ST in stock $90.00 each.

You can reach me by Skype 7 days a week.
    Cheers
    Tim

3. Phil Sheehan

Thanks for the speedy reply Tim!

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I don't know of any dummy desiccant plug for the STF nor for the STL's. The sb-50141 on OPT's website is the ST dummy plug.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  5. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Bill, are far as I know these two are the parts numbers below for the actual working plugs. (no dummies)
    Can you confirm to be sure.

MS-DESICCANTSTL Desiccant Plug, STL in stock $100.00 each
    The STL version will fit the STL and STX-16803 cameras.

MS-DESICCANTST Desiccant Plug, ST in stock $90.00 each.

6. Phil Sheehan

Thanks for the replies - makes my head spin!
    I now understand that the dessicant plug supplied with the camera is used when baking the dessicant - is that correct?
    Next - which replacement dessicant plug suits the STF series - the MS-DESSICANT-ST?
    One more question if you don't mind:
    instead of baking the dessicant to remove moisture, how about leaving it overnight or longer in the normal compartment of a frost free fridge - I have used this before to remove moisture inside a lens cell.
    Thanks for your patience dealing with me.
    regards,
    Phil

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

You're right Tim, the MS-DESICCANTST and MS-DESICCANTSTL are the real plugs for those respective cameras. My mistake. From looking at OPT's website, the sb-50141 is the dummy plug for the ST-7 family of cameras. That is their part number and not ours. (I have a feeling ours is 50141 though)
    I don't know our part number for the STF desiccant plug. Perhaps you have it Tim. If not, Phil, email me at work tomorrow and I'll find out what it is. bill@sbig.com. Are we talking about frost on the ccd itself (internal) or dewing on the window of the chamber cover (external)? Dewing of the window of the chamber cover isn't necessarily an indication that your desiccant plug needs recharging but frosting of the ccd cover glass is. We bake the plugs to, basically, cook the moisture out of the desiccant beads which recharges them so they're able to absorb moisture again. I don't think that would be possible by putting the camera in the fridge although it may remove some internal moisture, I can't comment one way or the other on that one.