STF8300m desiccant plug (dummy)

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Damian Briden, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Damian Briden

Damian Briden Standard User

Just getting back into imaging after a few years hiatus. I’ve got everything working and successfully guiding.
    Taken a few 10 and 20 min images and all fine.
    Thought it might be a good idea though to bake the desiccant plug before frost starts to form, etc, etc.

Re-read the ‘how to bake’ instructions and all fine. The instructions state to replace the plug whilst baking with the dummy....

Problem is, I don’t have one!
    I’ve looked in the loft and found the SBIG case, but no plug. I wonder if I never had one as my U.K. vendor swapped out my ST8300m for the STF version as it came out only a few weeks after my original purchase - I still have the internal SBIG packing ‘checking off list’ for the older camera as well as the new one. I wonder if I never got the plug when things were swapped (unless the dummy was a later edition?)

I’m sure I could just seal the chamber with electrical tape whilst baking the plug, but it would be nice to have the proper thing to seal it with...

Is this something you could supply please...?

Thanks in advance,
    Damian

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You do not need to plug the hole; just keep the camera in a clean area while you bake the desiccant. If there is moisture in the chamber it is not a bad idea to leave it open for a bit to help it dry out. Position the camera with the hole facing downwards and it is extremely unlikely that dust will get in.