Resolved STF8300m vs Win 10

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Kenn Hopkins, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Kenn Hopkins

Kenn Hopkins Standard User

I've been using CCDSoft and STF8300m with FW5-8300 filter wheel for a few years on my Win 7 machine I had no problem connecting to my SBIG STF 8300m and FW5-8300 filter wheel. But when I upgraded to Win 10 I'm unable to connect to the camera nor will it show the SBIG Internal STL CFW filter wheel. I was using CCDSoft when I try to select a Camera it would not show the SBIG STF-8300 in the drop down. Nor would it show the SBIG Internal STL CFW in the Filter Wheel drop down list.

I have checked the System32/drivers for the Sbig drivers and they are there, I even ran the DriverChecker64, from SBIG, to insure the drivers were up to date. Yet o n the Win 10 machine I'm unable to connect to the camera.

Can you point me in a direction to try and solve this Win 10 issue with my STF 8300m and Filter Wheel?

Kenn

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Is this a new PC or same old machine, but upgraded to W10 recently?
    If an upgrade, make sure you install all the latest updates. You may have to do multiple "Check for Updates" and reboots. Make sure you have the latest device drivers for your machine, from Intel, AMD, NVidia, Realtek, etc.

If you start the Device Manager, does the camera show up correctly in the list of devices?
    If it shows up, then W10 is seing the camera.
    Next, download CCDOPS from our web site, install it, and see if it will connect. Click this link:
    ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/InstOps.exe
    If that works, the problem is CCDSoft-related (which is no longer supported by Software Bisque).

3. Kenn Hopkins

Colin, thanks for the response.

It is the same laptop I've been using for a number of years Win 7 as the OS on a Dell Latitude E6510. Also running PHD2 with QHYCCD 5L-II as a guider along with Gemini.net to connect to the scope.

Everything was 'fat and happy' until I upgraded to Win 10. The upgrade went good with no problems that I could see. When I went out the other night to image I brought up CCDSoft, yes I know it is no longer supported, and when I went to connect--nothing. I looked at the dropdown list and the STF 8300 was no longer there. After some checking directories to insure everything was still there I then loaded the driver 64 update program, for SBIG, and ran it and it told me the drivers were up to date. Even CCDOPS was unable to load the camera so I'm at a loss as to what is going on. I then tried a new app APT( Astro Photography Tool ) and it was unable to locate the STF8300 also.

CCDSoft loaded in Win 10 but since I was unable to load the camera I was unable to use it.

Kenn

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Windows Key... in the search box, start typing Device Manager

When Devmgr comes up - look through the list of the devices -
    Do you see the one I have highlighted?
    If YES, then it should work. Try the Firmware tab of the SBIG Driver Checker, to see if it can talk to the camera.
    If NO, then look for an "Unknown Device" or something with an exclamation mark in the Device Manager.

Do you hear the USB plug-in sound when you plug the camera in to the PC?

sbigcamera.png

Other suggestions:
    That laptop doesn't have official support from Dell anymore (last OS listed is Win 7).
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6510/drivers
    See the downloads on that page.

Check that you have the latest BIOS in the machine (June 2017).

Go get the Intel driver and support utility from:
    https://www.intel.ca/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Check all the hardware manufacturers that make components in your machine for updates.
    In particular, USB bus devices and controllers.

5. Kenn Hopkins

First looked at Device Manager and located the SBIG Device

upload_2019-9-4_8-53-35.png

Then went to update the driver, seems as though the computer lost its location so I entered the proper location. And when I entered C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG received the following message

I then tried to tell it I had the install disks, but it still was unable to locate any file. upload_2019-9-4_8-53-35.png

Had to give it a specific location, just putting in SBIG did not find the driver. I entered it into the drop down box and then I clicked “Let me select from a list of devices on this computer”. Providing the correct path.

It then showed the SBIG driver based on the path I provided.

Ran the update and all was good in the world once again.

I appreciate your advice and taking the time to assist me in solving this problem.
    Kenn

Attached Files:

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear you got it resolved.
    Have fun!