STL-1001 on Mac : EZ-USB firmware does not download

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by jjs22, Aug 31, 2015.

1. jjs22

jjs22 Standard User

I have a STL-1001 USB camera which I am trying to use on a brand new Mac Mini (running Yosemite). I installed the latest SBIG drivers and CCDops-Lite.

The camera works fine under Windows and Linux.

On the Mac, I get "No device found" or something to that effect.

But if I first plug the camera's USB cable into the Windows machine then switch it back to the Mac without powering down, the camera is recognized and works perfectly.

My conclusion is that on the Mac, the EZ-USB chip in the camera is not getting its firmware loaded.

When I tried the Linux Dev Kit, I got the same kind of error (device not found) until I installed the fxload utility. (This utility is required, but not mentioned in the docs.)

I'm wondering if there is another such dependency on the Mac platform. Maybe the newer Macs are missing something ?

2. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

For the record, we're still trying to get kernel driver developer status with Apple. The mac USB bootloader requires special permissions, and that is likely the problem. Try using the following command from your terminal:

sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=1"

4. jjs22

jjs22 Standard User

Adam,

Thanks for responding so promptly. It worked ! If the rain stops, maybe we can use the camera tonight.

Not to gripe, but maybe you could put a note about this issue in the docs that come with the driver ???

Thanks again,

Jeff

5. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Absolutely. I'll make sure that's updated for the next OSX release.