STL 11k Cooling range -20° maxi

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Franck Bugnet, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Joseph Zeglinski

Joseph Zeglinski Standard User

All quite true. DSLR's are simple compared to regulated temperature astro CCD cameras. As I recall, the "unregulated" CMOS cameras run much cooler than the former CCD based DSLR technology. So, I knew they were different, but my point was that either chip technology results in the sensor heating, the CCD even more so. That's maybe one reason that consumer DSLR's now use CMOS. Perhaps you can correct me there as well - though this thread is rapidly deteriorating in tone and civility.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry, that is the wrong conclusion. CMOS sensors have far more active electronic circuitry than CMOS sensors, and therefore produce substantially more heat.

Most of a CCD sensor is passive; the electrodes that clock out the charge are simply capacitors as far as the off-chip driving electronics are concerned. Any heat generation is at the drivers, not on the CCD chip.

The CCD readout amplifier is at most a few transistors. Basically a transistor for reset and an emitter follower to buffer the output.

In comparison a CMOS sensor has millions of readout transistors, and both analog and digital processing circuitry on board. So there's a lot more circuitry to generate heat.

DSLR manufacturers use CMOS sensors to save money, not to achieve better performance. CMOS technology is improving rapidly, but CCD sensors still have significant performance advantages when it comes to high quality imaging.