STT-1603M not recognized as a USB device

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by John Martin (UIS), Aug 26, 2016.

1. John Martin (UIS)

John Martin (UIS) Standard User

I just got a new STT-1603M. It worked well out of the box connected by USB to a laptop running windows 7 pro for an hours. Tested out great. I was really impressed with how fast it cooled down. I was careful to do the "soft" disconnect where I ramped back the cooler power before disconnecting.

Then I shut the STT down (disconnecting all power and cables) and put the hardware on its front to attach it to our spectrograph. The hardware is just a nose piece that attaches using the four screws around the window. After the nosepiece was one the same Windows 7 laptop I used with it before would not connect to it via USB. It said that it was a "malfunctioning" USB device and it could not identify it.

The STT appeared to be powering up OK. The fans run and the LED on the side is green with no other lights (which I read in the manual means input voltage is correct).

I tried:
    1. On the first laptop PC: uninstalling the SBIG drivers and CCDOps, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, and then plugging the camera back in. Got the same issue: malfunctioning USB device not recognized.
    2. Did a fresh install of the SBIG drivers and CCD Ops on a virgin windows PC running windows 10. Got the same issue on that PC: malfunctioning USB device not recognized.
    3. Tried it on a MAC running OS X 10.11.16. It never properly connected to the USB port.
    4. Tried to connect to it via ethernet and a PC attached to a router with nothing else (router provided DHCP). CCD Ops couldn't find the camera's IP using auto detect on the network.
    I also tried several different USB cables.

Help! I can't thin of what else. Anything else I can try?

-John Martin

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Cyanogen Customer

John, I'm surprised no one has chimed in. Though it sounds like you tried everything on your end. Did this get resolved? CG

3. John Martin (UIS)

I have not heard anything yet. I know I posted this after quitting time Friday. I figured I'll call tomorrow if they don't get back to me here.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Chris Anderson

This is by far the best support forum. I'm sure someone will help.... CG

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you using a USB hub? They are frequently problematic.

Are you using AC power?

When connected to the computer that will not connect, does the malfunctioning USB device display in the Windows Device Manager? If it does, try to manually set the driver to be the "SBIG USB-64 Camera with Firmware".

6. John Martin (UIS)

No. I am _not_ using a USB hub. For each computer I tested it with I plugged it directly into a USB 2.0 plug on the box. I tested the ports with a mouse. The USB mouse connected via those ports OK with no issues.

I am running the STT 1603M on AC power. The light on the power adapter is blue. The LEDs on the camera a green with no red or yellow lit. The fans on the camera run as soon as I plug in the power.

On the Windows 7 box that it worked on to start with it is present in the Device Manager as an "Unknown Device".
    Under properties for the "Unknown Device", the "General" tab, under "Device Status" it says, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)."

I tried to "update driver software" for the "unknown device" as you suggested. When using the "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer," nothing fitting your description is showing up. SBIG isn't in the "Manufacturer" list and I couldn't find it tucked away under another "manufacturer."

When I try to force it by telling it that "I have a disk" to scan the "SBIG Drivers 3r2" directory under the Diver Checker , Windows responds:
    "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver be sure that it is configured to work with Windows for x64-based systems."
    I tried all the subfolders as well.

Just to be through, I uninstalled CCDOps and Driver checker again. Reinstalled. Then tried to find a driver again. Still no luck.

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

After you click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.", on the next screen there should be a checkbox that says "Show Compatible Hardware", make sure it is unchecked. Then "SBIG" should be in the "Manufacturers" list. If it is not, then the USB firmware is probably corrupted, and it will need to be returned for service. You can contact Bill Lynch in repairs with the information below:

Bill Lynch - SBIG Service & Repair Center
    130 Castilian Drive, Suite 102
    Santa Barbara, CA 93117
    Bill Lynch - bill@sbig.com
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

8. John Martin (UIS)

Unfortunately I had unchecked the "show compatible hardware" box already. So the results are as reported: SBIG is not in the manufacturers list. :(

I'll contact Bill Lynch. Thanks for your help.

9. Chris Anderson

What if you tried to update firmware via SBIGDriveChecker? I'm surprised there's not a way to flash from home.... CG

10. John Martin (UIS)

Good idea. But the SBIGDriveChecker can't find the hardware and ID it while it is attached. So I can't rewrite the firmware that way.

11. Chris Anderson

:facepalm: Yeah, I can see that.... CG

12. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi John,

Call or email me your email address and phone.
    I can try helping you via Teamviewer and by phone.

Cheers
    Tim