STT 8300M Firmware: Best Practices

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by jerryyyyy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy Cyanogen Customer

Was an early adopter of the STT 8300M and got it to work I never changed firmware. I no longer have the old firmware checker. I have been getting the odd error with the CCD and think I should UG the firmware... hate to do this.

Can someone point me to the right software and procedures?

Thanks

2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

We would be happy to do the upgrade process for you if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself. The most up-to-date firmware is available from the Firmware tab of SBIG's Driver Checker 64. Just let us know if you need assistance.

3. jerryyyyy

I found the software.... Can you remote login to make sure it is done right, or is it pretty simple. Did this a long time ago. Found a 3 page pdf of instructions... dated Sept 6 2011.... edited: 50+ pages dated 2013.... maybe I will need help!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

If you want to call me I can remote in and flash it for you.

Regards
    Tim

5. jerryyyyy

Thanks Tim. I loaded the software on the computer attached to the STT last night. I think i have the latest versions.

5.5.7.3 for CCDOps and 4.0.0.14 for DriverChecker64. I was confused because the computer is 32-bit but it installed so I assume the 64-bit refers to the STT's chip. I'll try to see if I can get home early.

6. Adam Robichaud

My understanding is: the "64" in DriverChecker64 has nothing to do with the target architecture of the program itself — it's a 32-bit program (and always has been), used to communicate with 16-bit cameras. The reason it's called DriverChecker64 is because it used to be exclusively distributed with 64-bit device drivers (which are separate from SBIGUDrv.dll — which is *also* 32-bit only), but that's not true anymore — we distribute DriverChecker64 with x86 and x64 device drivers. The name just stayed, for some reason.

7. jerryyyyy

Thanks for the call last night Tim. I learned a lot. The system ran fine throughout the night. Not sure if the new drivers helped, but I was glad to see I did not need to upgrade the firmware.
    Interesting as that firmware is pretty old as I was an early adopter of the STT 8300M.

Thanks again.

8. Kai Yang

Kai Yang Standard User

Hi Jerry,

How old is your CCD? (mine is from 2014)
    I have trouble getting PHD2 (or even CCDOpts) works with my STT-8300 guilder...
    Not sure if a firmware update will help.

-Kai

9. jerryyyyy

Hi, have no problems guiding. Mine is probably the 2nd CCD retailed. Was on waiting list. I use Maxim to guide, but it has worked with PhD fine. I assume you have the filterwheel OAG guider.

10. Kai Yang

Kai Yang Standard User

Thanks for the info Jerry.
    Yes, I have the filterwheel OAG guider...

11. jerryyyyy

Tim and the guys here should be able to help you, but are you getting a good image off the OAG? You have two adjustments on the filter wheel. One I believe is focus and the other angle off axis. Focus is never perfect but good enough counts. If the angle is bad you will have a dark strip at the top/bottom or right/left of the image.

If you are getting the image, PhD should work... if not, would go to their forum and ask why not. I think you have to have Maxim to run the STT and so you can ask about that here. maxim is superior to PhD in my book.

12. Kai Yang

Kai Yang Standard User

13. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

I just updated the firmware on a STT-8300 using the most recent version of the Driver Checker utility - I think it was modified in late November 2015.

Very simple to do with the new progress bar incorporated into the utility so you don't accidentally think that the process has hung up.

Dean J.
    http://astrophoto.net

14. Kai Yang

Kai Yang Standard User

hi Dean,

Anywhere we can check what the change for the latest firmware?
    I cannot find it at SBIG website...
    thanks.

-Kai

15. Adam Robichaud

Currently (as far as I'm aware), it's only possible to upload new camera firmware through the windows SBIG Driver Checker 64 app. You'll need access to a Windows PC to get it, or you'll have to send it in for service — but we do not advise updating your camera's firmware unless there is an issue you're experiencing which is resolved by a firmware update.

16. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

Kai, it is done through the SBIG Driver Checker utility.

Adam has a point about if "it isn't broke, then don't fix it".

In my case, the camera wasn't doing things it should be doing. So, I didn't really have a lot to lose.

I do wonder though why the firmware would be updated but not recommended for general use. The new camera I just received and then sent back did not have the most recent firmware. It would seem that a firmware update would address a known problem or offer an enhancement or new feature. If the newer firmware offers a fix to a known problem, then why wouldn't you want to eliminate the possibility that your hardware would fail somewhere out in the middle of nowhere on a 3 day imaging trip? ... even though your camera seems to be working fine now. ... unless the hardware has been changing over time...

Dean J.

17. Adam Robichaud

In a perfect world, we would advise everyone keep their firmware up to date; but because any interruptions to communication while updating the firmware runs the risk of bricking your camera, we tend to only advise doing it if your camera isn't working properly to begin with. I know a few people who do keep their firmware current, and have no issues — but we caution everyone about the risks involved in the process, since the camera would need to be sent back in for service if something goes wrong.

18. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

Understood.

The addition of the progress bar feature in the driver checker utility was a good idea. There was no doubt when watching it that things were progressing normally.

Dean J.