STV Deluxe LCD Screen Defect

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Photonman1964, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Photonman1964

Photonman1964 Standard User

Hi:

New member. I have a pier-mounted LX200 and an STV Deluxe housed in a fiberglass observatory in Miami, FL. My STV Deluxe has lasted me since original purchase in 2001. I have not been inside my observatory for 3 months. All equipment is left unplugged. Please see two photos of LCD screen on power-up of unit. I synced with TheSky and verified that the CCD commands work, and I can initialize the unit with the SETUP function, but the LCD screen has an obvious defect. Any opinion as to whether this LCD screen in the control box can be replaced by sending the unit in for an evaluation/repair?

Thank you.

Adam

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately we can't repair equipment that old. The parts are no longer available.

3. Photonman1964

Thank you for your reply. Hypothetical question: assume an LCD screen is found. Is it possible the unit can be fixed with a plug-and-play swap, or even if the screen is replaced there are definitely other hardware issues that need attention? I know this is a loaded question, but I replaced a laptop LCD screen last year which completely "fixed" the computer display issue and was hoping that the STV Deluxe might be similarly "fixed".

Thanks.

4. Photonman1964

Hi: Maybe you can confirm if I am reading the correct identifying information on the LCD screen:
    Imprint is 5D PVI 116A. A PVI5D1 circuit board attaches to the LCD by ribbon cable. I attached a photo. Maybe I can look for a supplier of PVI LCD screens. Thank you.

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Judging by the photo it's definitely the screen that is broken.

Two different LCD displays were used in the STV over time, but I could not locate part numbers for them.

The LCD monitor was an optional component. You can operate the STV without it. There is an external video monitor output, as well as remote control capability via the STV Remote software.

6. Photonman1964

Thank you, thank you....you salvaged my modest imaging program and passion.

Adam

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      178.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      779.8 KB
      Views: