Staff Assigned: Tim STX-16803 Ethernet Connection

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Michiel Ford, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Michiel Ford

Michiel Ford Cyanogen Customer

OK, I need to get an IP address for the STX-16803 camera. We just got the camera, AOX, Filter Wheel and guider put on and would like to run this camera via ethernet.

Thank you for your help!!

Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Michiel Ford

Thank you Doug!! I'm out here right now and will give it a try.

Mike

4. Michiel Ford

OK, tried the IP address and it doesn't read it. I'm going to download CCD OPS and give that a try. I would rather control the camera through Maxim!!!!

Mike

5. Michiel Ford

I hooked up the camera to an ethernet connection, tried to have it read in CCD OPS and used the IP address you gave me. The software does NOT recognize the camera. So, if you have another idea, please let me know!!!

Mike

6. Michiel Ford

OK, so here is my next question: I downloaded the SBIG Driver Check 64bit. I don't have a column that says current, but all of the drivers are apparently there. Does the "Current" column in the driver check need to be there or not. I'm just not sure if you have been modifying the software and/or manuals and want to make sure.

Mike

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

There is no "current" column. When hit "Update", it will then ask if it is allowed to download the driver package, and so on, and once it is done, if everything is current, it pops up a dialog saying so.
    sbigcurrent.png

sbigcurrent2.png

Any chance you had changed the IP address of the camera to some non-default IP address a while back, and forgot?

8. Michiel Ford

Thanks Colin!! I'm fine on the Drivers Check, now I just need to get the ethernet connection going. SO, I'm going to get a new ethernet cable and try that first. I was using an older one that had been used before on other projects. I'll let you know how that goes later this evening.

Mike

9. Michiel Ford

OK, got a new ethernet cable, got it connected to the port on the camera and computer, went to CCD Ops to the MISC menu, then GRAPHICS/COMM SETUP, switched to ETHERNET and went to DETECT. The message was that no ethernet based camera was found.

SO, I'm thinking this might be a case of the camera telling me to back off and use USB. If you have any other ideas, please let me know!!!

Mike

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What happens if you put an ethernet hub between the camera and computer?
    Then check if you get link and data lights on for both.
    Another thought - is there a DHCP server (or router with DHCP service) on the network that can provide an IP address to the camera?

11. Michael Stage

Michael Stage Standard User

I too am trying to set up a STX16803 camera via ethernet. I've been wondering how this connection is supposed to work--typically when I have connected two devices directly, e.g., computer to computer, I have used a cross-over cable; here there are no instructions to do that, but I am wondering if it is necessary if a direct link is made?

Is it better to run the camera to a hub (or router)? Should this be networked in a way similar to how one would network a printer?

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Usually you would use a router/hub, but it is possible to connect directly. A crossover cable is required for direct connection.

(That may not always be true... many routers auto-configure as needed thus avoiding the use of crossover cables; it's possible that some PCs do that also.)