STX 16803 guider problem

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by James Edlin, Sep 21, 2018.

1. James Edlin

James Edlin Cyanogen Customer

I have a new STX 16803 with FW 7 filter wheel and on the front of that an STX autoguider. I have Maxim dl 6.12 running. The main ccd will take a picture fine, the guider will take images fine and the guider will guide the telescope fine however if I start the main ccd taking a picture, the autoguider stops working and sits silent with the shutter closed over the guide chip. If I stop the main ccd image acquisition the autoguider starts working again. I assume it is a Maxim setting that is wrong but can not figure it out. My old 168903 worked fine with this software. Does anyone have an idea of the fix.

Jim

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please update your software to the latest version. Also make sure you have the latest SBIG drivers installed.

3. James Edlin

I have paid for and down loaded Maxim DL 6.18. I removed my original version 6.12. When I try on multiple attempts to install 6.18 version my AVG virus program stops this process and move the program to quarantine with the message "program was infected with Win32:MdeClass" So it will not let me install this paid for program. The prior versions installed just fine with AVG running. What do I do?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

5. James Edlin

Thanks, I found no malware threats when I ran my malware detection program. AVG must be giving a false positive.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It does happen. We will investigate further.

7. James Edlin

I finally got Maxim DL 6.18 installed after deactivating AVG. The 16803 ccd connected properly and the guiding problem seems to be solved as it guided correctly while taking a main ccd image. Seems that the issue now resolved.

Thanks.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We've taken steps to get the false positive removed. It may not be possible to completely clear this without releasing a new version, to get a different hash code.