STX-16803 RBI / Temperature Issue

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by sixburg, Apr 27, 2016.

1. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

I've recently experienced what appears to be RBI issues with my 16803. I don't use RBI, but nevertheless it seems to flash from time to time. I initially though it had to to with something in ACP's handling of readout modes, but now suspect it has something to do with temp regulation given what I've witnessed.

Everything I'm reporting involves Maxim only. No ACP, no CCDAP...just Maxim and 'manual' exposures.

In short, 2 short 120s seconds exposures at -30C went of fine (ambient is ~2.5C), a 3rd clearly looks RBI-affected, and the 4th is kind of coming out of the RBI issue as the temperature goes back down towards the target -30c.

This is demonstrated in the rather large link / download. Contents:
    1. 4 FITS files numbered 4-7. 4 and 5 are fine. 6 is bad, 7 is improved. 6 was taken at ambient. How the camera got to ambient is a whole different question.
    2. A blink animation of the same frames
    3. The running camera log
    4. A screen shot of the camera not performing temp regulation even though it reads as 100% power, temp of +4.7C and setpoint of -30C. And this is 60s into a 600s exposure. A power cycle resolved this, but I don't know the cause.
    5. Omitted is video of the cooler temp meandering its way to -30C with various ups, downs and overshoots while in stable ambient temps.
    Anything I can look at or test? Otherwise the camera is working fairly well although I'm concerned about its consistency and predictability.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1EB2DE63A1E30B50!5694&authkey=!APqsbnBeN5LCFzI&ithint=file,zip

Thanks,
    -Lloyd

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please make sure you're running the latest camera firmware. Also update your SBIG Universal Driver and MaxIm DL to the latest revision. If you still get the problem then we will need to investigate.

3. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

Hi Doug...
    Seems I always forget some pertinent data. DriverChecker reports all drivers and firmware up to date. Maxim is up to date as well (v6.12).