Staff Assigned: Tim STX-16803 Shutter Problem

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark Hanson, May 24, 2018.

1. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Cyanogen Customer

I'm having issues with my 16803 shutter.

Recently I have started to have this problem where during the night the set of 1800 second exposures goes all as planed and when I open them to look at them some of them some look like they were way under exposed, almost like the shutter closed after a few seconds. But the fits header still says it was exposed for 1800 seconds. I know the roof was open and it was clear out so not sure what's up. Seems to happen to every other frame, but not always.

Thanks,

Mark Hanson

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I rather doubt the problem is mechanical. Have you updated drivers, firmware, software, etc?

3. Mark Hanson

Doug,

Our software is all up to date, but I'm sure we have not updated firmware, Ill have to check the drivers as well.

This just started a 3 months ago and is progressively getting worse. Some nights its half the images, so that's half the night lost to under exposed images that the files think is a good 1800 sec exposure, when its actually a second or two.

Thank you,
    Mark

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Normally you would get an error if the shutter didn’t actuate properly. Also you would expect a partial opening rather than a short exposure.

What software are you using to operate the camera?

5. Mark Hanson

Maxim 6.13

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Current version is 6.17.

7. Mark Hanson

The cameras drivers and firmware have been updated, same problem is occurring. I sent a folder with the fits images to Tim.