STX16803 and AOX error.

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Martin Pugh, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Hello Doug

I have used TSX with SBIG AO units for a good while right up until I dismantled my system in California back in Nov 16 before returning to Australia. I put an SBIG STX and AOX on yesterday and ran into a problem.. The AOX by itself guides fine but as soon as the main exposure starts the exposure on the autoguider tab stops and changes to 'Autoguiding' and all of the AO settings freeze (wander, count, tilt). If I then abort the main exposure, the autoguider reports 'guide star lost brightness'. If I then stop the autoguider and take a single image with the autoguider it would appear as if the guide star has left the ccd, but it hasnt. If I disconnect and then reconnect the camera and take an exposure the guide star is there.

I noted the STX firmware was out of date, so I updated that but the error remains.
    Any thoughts?

thanks

Martin

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What software are you using to run the camera?

4. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Hello
    Thanks Colin - yes I posted that in the Bisque forum but the latest build does not specifically address this issue. I believe it may be something that has crept in the daily builds since Nov 16, but I thought I would post it here also.
    Doug - I am using TSX for camera control and having taken off my STXL16200 to replace it with the STX16803 I am using the 16200 power supply. I trust this is good enough? I ask because the camera power keeps turning off all by itself too.
    As for the internal autoguider - I am getting intermittent black images, then I get regular images, and sometimes noisy images but no data when there should be. I also find that to recover the guider, I can switch to the non-existent 'external guider' take an image, then switch back to the 'internal guider' and voila - I have a regular image again. I followed the same procedure when I was investigating the offset problem with the guider in my FW8G. The gain on the KAI 340 is 0.52 but the offset value is reported as '3 of EE for an ADU of 953' That seems odd too.

All of this is separate to the problem I have outlined above.

I did put on the latest daily build to the TSX, released a couple of days ago, but the problem remains.

cheers
    Martin

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like a power supply issue. Can you switch to using the power supply that came with the 16803?