Resolved STX16803 Error - Error opening camera in dual chip mode - could not initialize CCD camera (27)

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by sixburg, Feb 17, 2017.

1. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

This camera has apparently failed, or is in the process of failing. Overnight it quit responding to ACP commands and the entire system hung and did not complete the session. The mount hit the stops and ACP was continuing to wait for the camera to take an image in order to do a plate solve.

I've seen this error before and normally a power cycle and reboot will clear it up. I've never known of a permanent fix. As of right now the camera is inoperative. Curiously it did connect and work long enough for me to take a few panel flats this afternoon. However, it again failed and left ACP hanging part way through the flats session.

The camera behaves the same now with the most current firmware (updated today) as it did earlier with the last version of the firmware. Maxim is v6.13. I think this is the 3rd time the camera has failed in about a year. All the cables have been swapped and I'm stumped...among other things.

Any ideas or protocols for a test to understand what's happening?

In the meantime, I'll revert to the "spare" camera which is convenient to have even though I wish I didn't have it ;-| The swap results in hours of new calibration frames and lots of wasted time unfortunately.

-Lloyd

2. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

May have solved with one with a replacement power cord! According the the error code the camera is "not found" so that (hopefully) meant either the USB or the power cord. I didn't check the power cord, the eventual culprit, until after I posted.

-Lloyd

3. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    It would be truly great if mounts had a heartbeat feature where they would stop tracking if the control system wasn't asked for info for some period. This would be an option of course and not applicable for handbox control.