STXL 11002 with FW8G Guider shooting blank images

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Robert Mueller, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Robert Mueller

Robert Mueller Standard User

I have an STXL with FW8G -STXL self guiding filterwheel. After successful guiding a few nights ago last night the images were all blank with no signal. ADU values are zero regardless of exposure times binning etc. from within The Sky X.

I checked the HDMI cable and it seems fine and I tried cycling power and selecting darks, lights and different binning with no luck. About a week ago I updated the camera firmware and drivers but the guider has worked since then. I also tried connecting the camera and filterwheel to CCDOPS but there is no difference...no signal/blank images from the guider.

Does anyone have any suggested troubleshooting steps beyond what I have tried?

Thanks,
    Robert Mueller

STXL Drivers_14_16.JPG
    STXL Firmware8_14_16.JPG

2. Robert Mueller

Robert Mueller Standard User

To close the loop on this...
    Tim P. had me replace the HDMI cable to verify it wasn't the cause. No difference. I also listened for the click of the shutter but it apparently is not moving.

Next step was to open filterwheel and inspect the actuation of the guider shutter. It moved freely and was not stuck.

Lastly I verified that running the camera and auto guider in CCDOps that it would also produce images with no signal.

Conclusion is that small electronics board in filterwheel must have a problem. I will send filterwheel back to Bill at SBIG for repair.

Robert