STXL 16200 + FW8G-STXL + AO-X Assembly Questions

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mike Hambrick, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I just received a STXL 16200 Ultimate package and I have a few of basic questions about putting it all together;
    1) I thought that this was intuitave, but I just want to confirm that the correct sequence of assembly is: Camera, then AO-X, then Filter Wheel, then Telescope ? The instruction manuals are not real clear on this.
    2) The unmounted 50 mm filters (L, R, G, B, H-alpha, O-III, and S-II) were not installed in the filter wheel. Is there a "front" and "back" to these filters. Tim Puckett mentioned that there is a mirrored side that faces toward the telescope, but this is difficult to determine which side this is on some of them.
    3) How tight do I need to snug down the hold downs for the filters ? I just snugged them up enough until it feels like the o-rings are fully compressed.
    4) After working with an older model ST2000-XM I was a little taken aback at the weight of the STXL 16200 setup. Can anyone comment about the stability and security when attaching it to my telescopes using a 2-inch nose piece ? Unfortunately, the custom adapter for a 2-inch nose piece that I ordered does not fit onto the front of the filter wheel and I have to get it modified before I can put this new system to use.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

1. No, the AO-X must be in front of the guide camera. It goes on the front of the filter wheel.

2. It is not safe to ship the wheel with the filters installed. Orientation is not critical, but if the filter has a more reflective side then it is better to have it facing the telescope.

3. Yes do not overtighten. If they feel snug then that's good enough!

4. This is a much larger camera, because the CCD sensor is much larger! Mounting really depends on your telescope, but I'm not a big fan of 2" adapters for larger cameras. You didn't say what telescope you are using. Custom adapters are available from PreciseParts.com

3. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Doug

Regarding the sequence of assembly I think that it would be helpful to add more detail into the instruction manuals. The AO-X manual only states that the AO-X is designed to be bolted directly to the front of the STXL or STX camera. There is also a statement about connecting the I2C-AUX cables when there is a filter wheel. The filter wheel manual also described the procedure to attach it directly to the front of the camera, but there is no mention of the AO-X at all in the filter wheel manual. I also think it would be helpful to at least make a few comments about the installation of the filters.

Regarding my setup, I have two telescopes: The first is an Astro-Physics 180 EDT with a 2.7 inch focuser and a 0.76X focal reducer. The other is a Tele-Vue NP101-is with a 2.4 inch focuser. Both scopes have 2 inch adapters which attach to the focusers. Both of the 2 inch adapters have the brass locking rings with two (Tele-Vue) or three (Astro-Physics) locking screws. I have found these to be quite secure when I am using the ST2000-XM setup.

For whatever it's worth, I don't see any adapters for the STXL 16200 nose piece offered on either the Astro-Physics or Tele-Vue web sites. Are there any other models of SBIG cameras that have the larger nose piece with 3.00 - 24 threads ? I would appreciate any recommendations that you or anyone else might be able to offer on a good way to attach the STXL 16200 / FW8G-STXL assembly to my scopes. Surely there are a lot of these cameras in use already.

I ordered an adapter from Precise parts to bolt on the front of the AO-X which has a 2-inch nose piece. The adapter fits just fine when attaching it to the flat face of the AO-X. However, until I am satisfied that I can securely attach everything to my scopes, I am not going to use the AO-X. Unfortunately, the adapter will not fit on the front of the filter wheel because the raised section where the guider mirror is housed interferes with the round base. The round base needs to be milled with a square profile like the nose piece on the camera. As an interim measure I am able to use the thin spacer that comes with the AO-X.

The other issue that I will have to resolve for the Tele-Vue scope is how to balance the OTA - Camera assembly in the mount. I have an Astro-Physics 1100 GTO mount and even with the ST2000 I have the scope as far forward in the rings as possible. I am going to have to look at getting a sliding dovetail plate.

Thanks again for your input. I have always been impressed at how quickly you or someone else will give feedback on this forum when your customers have any issues.

Mike

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We do our best!

We will review the manuals to see if they can be improved.

2” should be large enough as long as it is securely attached. Some people add a safety strap between the camera’s carrying handle and the OTA, just in case something doesn’t get tightened down properly.

You may need counterweights for the TeleVue.

5. Michiel Ford

Michiel Ford Cyanogen Customer

Doug,

I agree with Mike!!! We didn't know in which order to put the different components on. We finally got it figured out. Now, I'm trying to get the IP address for our 16803 so we can run it via ethernet.

Mike F.