STXL-6303E & FW8G-STXL - after cleaning service, guider is dark during main camera exposure

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Phill R, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Phill R

Phill R Standard User

I'm using the "internal" autoguider in the FW8G-STXL filter wheel. Everything was working great (for hundreds of observing sessions) until I received the unit back from being serviced/cleaned by SBIG. Here's what happens now:

The guiding works very well on its own, but as soon as the main data camera (STXL-6303E) begins to expose, the guider image looks like a dark frame and the guiding fails. The guiding comes right back once the data image completes exposing. Either something is now blocking the light's path to the guider during main camera’s exposure (I don't see how that can be because the shutter is behind the filters which are behind the pick-off mirror for guiding), or else something to do with drivers/software was altered during the service - maybe new firmware was installed on the camera that is no longer compatible with MaxIm DL 5.17?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Phill,

You want to use the External Guider.

-Bill

3. Phill R

Phill R Standard User

Thanks, Bill! ... but I actually am using the filter wheel guider as an external guider in dual chip mode. I suspect this issue might have to do with the firmware update. I'm waiting to hear back from the folks at Diffraction Limited about that possibility.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We'll have to look into this. We'll get back to you shortly.

5. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Phil,

Can you send me the list of software/firmware versions you get from SBIG Driver Checker for your camera? I need to know:

- SBIGUDrv.dll from the "Drivers" tab
    - All firmware file versions from the "Firmware" tab (after clicking "Get Firmware Version from Camera").

Cheers,
    -Adam

6. Phill R

Phill R Standard User

Hi Adam,
    • sbigudrv.dll: Version = 4.92 Build 1
    • stxusb.bf2: Camera Version = Release Version = 1.06
    • stxga.bf2: Camera Version = Release Version = 2.49.02
    • stx6303.bf2: Camera Version = Release Version = 1.01.05
    • stx0340.bf2: Camera Version = Release Version = 1.00.04
    I have no way of telling what drivers and/or firmware versions were present when everything was working well.

Also, in case it matters, I am using MaxIm DL 5.17.

Drivers.png Firmware.png MaxIm_DL_camera_settings.png

Thanks!
    - Phill

7. Phill R

Phill R Standard User

Adam, Doug, Bill:

Is there anything I should do besides try upgrading to the latest MaxImDL? Is returning the camera's firmware to the previous version an option? Everything was working great before the firmware update that was done at the time of the cleaning service.

thanks,
    Phill

8. Adam Robichaud

Firmware rollbacks are possible, albeit not strongly recommended unless absolutely necessary. Are you intending to use MaxIm DL v5.17 as your main acquisition program long-term?

9. Phill R

Phill R Standard User

I guess that depends on your definition of long-term. I wasn't planning to upgrade MaxIm DL right now, anyway. I am just trying to put the camera back to work soon and am considering MaxIm DL 6 if that's what's required to sort this out.

10. Adam Robichaud

I'm out of office right now, but I could log in and revert the firmware for you some time tomorrow if you can tell me what version previously worked with your camera. (I can do some digging if you can't)

11. Phill R

Phill R Standard User

Okay, great! I don't think I have any way of determining the previous firmware version, though. It would have been whatever was installed when the camera was originally shipped to me in July 2015.

12. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

13. Adam Robichaud

Bill sent me a PM with the firmware version. Are you able to make the camera available via our remote support tool?