Resolved STXL FW8G shutter problem

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Brian Peterson, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Brian Peterson

Brian Peterson Cyanogen Customer

I've got a new camera (STXL 11002 & FW8G) and an old computer (windows XP). I've been trying to get them to work together, but it seems that (on an alternative "every other image" pattern) the guide chip shutter closes and stays shut when the imaging exposure begins. I've been using Maxim DL 5; I tried the 30-day trial of version 6.13 (and then 6.14), but had the same problem.

Is this just not going to work with my ancient XP computer, or is there some hope of getting that guider shutter to behave itself?

Brian

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

First thing - download the latest version of SBIG Driver Checker:

ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

Then use it to (a) update your PC's drivers, and (b) the firmware in the STXL (just in case it's not the latest).

3. Brian Peterson

Ok. I did update the drivers. I started on the firmware, but then there was this scary
    warning not to do this unless customer support advised it.
    I'll go ahead, and let you know!
    Thanks.

4. Brian Peterson

Updating the camera firmware seems to have fixed the problem -- at least with Maxim DL v. 6.
    My old version 5 still didn't work last night, but my trial copy of version 6 worked flawlessly --
    so, maybe it really is time to update that software!
    Thanks for the help.