STXL/SGFW is broke...

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Fred Herrmann, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Fred Herrmann

Fred Herrmann Cyanogen Customer

Doug,

Purchased the STXL/SGFW on 2/13/14. Worked fine for months now with the occasional "undescribed error" every couple of nights or so the last couple of months. Cycling power fixed the problem so I ignored it and went on.

Tonight I turned on the system, took dusk flats and proceeded to image. On the first image the filter wheel refused to turn and the SGFW assembly sounded like a machine gun. STXL shutter and AO work fine.

Took the SGFW apart and reseated the connectors internal/external (RS232 and Board connectors). Loosened the gear belt drive set screws and retightened. The fw moves freely without any mechanical interference. The blue belt clears the filter wheel hold down screws.

Best I can tell it's got to be either the fw motor or the circuit driving the motor as the motor appears to be stalling out. Stalling out is probably not the best description since nothing is blocking it's movement. Basically looks like it's not generating enough torque to move the wheel out of the recesses. I also tried to run it with the cover off just to make sure something on the guider hadn't come loose. No difference, still didn't turn. Same machine gun sound from the fw motor. Everything looks tight and in the right place. :)

How do we proceed?

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

It was the motor.