Resolved STXL will not cool as low as it should

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Tim Long, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Tim Long

Tim Long Cyanogen Customer

We've recently purchased an STXL-6303 which I understand should cool to 60°C below ambient. However, I cannot get it to go below -35°C absolute, no matter what the ambient temperature. We are currently averaging around +10°C ambient so I would expect to be able to cool to about -50°C. Is the spec wrong? Do I have a faulty camera? Or am I just not configuring it right?

[​IMG]

The results are consistent between CCDOps and MaxIm DL 6. The ambient temperature at the time of the screen shot was +9.5°C so -50 should be achievable albeit at close to maximum power.

Best regards,
    Tim Long

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. Tim Long

Tim Long Cyanogen Customer

Never mind, I found this thread: http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/threads/stxl-cooler-limits.3747/
    Which clearly states that there is a limit of -35°C absolute.

Technically, this means that the spec is incorrect because the camera cannot in fact cool to 60 below ambient unless ambient is above 25C. That's a little disconcerting because there's no mention of that anywhere that I can find in the specifications or documentation. This sets false expectations and I would like to suggest that perhaps the spec on the web site should include this limitation. I do understand the reasons for the limitation and I can see that it is eminently sensible.

Best regards,
    Tim Long

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback. In reality delta-T isn't a single number and depends on a variety of factors.

In general TEC coolers are more efficient at higher temperatures and can achieve bigger deltas when ambient is warmer. This is a good thing when you consider that warm weather is exactly when you need the extra delta.

Tim Long likes this.