STXL11002 Power Up Problems

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by BillF, Jun 24, 2015.

1. BillF

BillF Cyanogen Customer

I am having a major issue powering up my new STXL 11002 camera and connecting to computer. I have the camera with FWG8 FW installed. Following directions on p20 of the manual, when I powered up the camera, the LEDs blink, the fan came on momentarily (a couple of seconds then turned off). The status light was on (red) and the green "volts OK" light was on. When I connected the USB cable (USB3.0 port), the driver did not load and I smelled some electrical burning after a minute or so. When I removed the USB cable, it was very hot, actually burned on the inside (and appears to have fried my computer usb port). Upon repeated attempt to power up, the fan came on after a few minutes but when I plug the usb cable into an operating port, the fan stops and the cable heats up. I repeated this a few times. After powering up, the fan stays on and led's are normal, but when I connect the USB port the fan shuts off and cable heats up after a few seconds.

Can you provide any advice, or should I return the camera to the retailer?

2. BillF

BillF Cyanogen Customer

If anyone from SBIG tech support is monitoring this, I'd appreciate if you can get in touch with me. I also left a voicemail with "Ralph" earlier today. The retailer who sold me the camera (Mike @ OPT) would like me to speak with someone before I return the camera to them.

I can also provide a phone # if desired.

Thanks,

Bill

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Whoops, that one must have slipped by the guys. We're closed up here now, but service in California is still open. Give Bill a call (805) 308-6979.

4. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Bill,

Was Bill Lynch able to help you? Or are you still experiencing this issue?

Cheers,
    -Adam

5. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

We spoke. My impression of the conversation was that he was returning it to OPT.

Adam Robichaud likes this.
  6. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Cyanogen Customer

I have had this problem before with an STL 11000. What happened was I was using a Pyramid power supply to power the camera. The problem was that the power supply had a floating ground which made the ground of the camera different from the ground of the computer which resulted in a voltage difference in the ground circuits of the USB port and the computer ground. My USB cable got hot just like yours and my camera acted the same as your description also. My advise is to take a voltmeter and power up the camera without the USB plugged into the computer, then measure the voltage between the case of the computer and the ground jacket of the USB cable. I think you'll find there is a voltage differential there. You must do what you need to make the ground of your camera power supply the same ground as your computer and everything else you are using. Let me know if this helps via the private message as I'll see it in my Email.

Hope this helps, Dan