STXL16200 Dessicant Recharging

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mike Hambrick, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I have a STXL16200 camera with FW8g-STXL filter wheel that I purchased in 2018, and I have decided that it is time to recharge the dessicant. However, I have decided that this is not such an easy task, and before I go any further I want to confirm what I think I am going to have to do.
    With the filter wheel in place, the eight screws on the front cover of the camera are not accessible, and it looks like I have to remove the filter wheel in order to be able to remove the front cover screws.
    In order to remove the filter wheel it looks like I have to remove four of the eight filters in order to be able to access all eight of the screws that hold the filter wheel onto the camera.
    Am I correct in this sequence of steps, or is there a trick that I do not see ?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The trick is that you can rotate the filter wheel by hand.

You may not need to remove any filters if you already have an empty slot. Otherwise simply remove one of the filters and reinstall after you're done.

3. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Doug. Good tip about moving the wheel by hand. I don't have any open slots so I will have to remove one of the filters.

Just my two cents worth, but this point should be mentioned in the dessicant recharging section of the camera manuals, and the FW8G filter manual could stand to have a lot of improvement on the topic of installing the filters. There is little or no information on this.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks Mike, we've started revamping aspects of several of our manuals.
    Are there specific areas related to filter install that you think would benefit?
    Any suggestions on things you find difficult?
    We appreciate the feedback.