TC-237 binning

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Bob Nelson, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Bob Nelson

Bob Nelson Standard User

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I have sent this query to the wrong place, or if my question has been added before.

This concerns possible binning in the guide chip for SBIG ST-10XME cameras. Our club has one, and I have one.

For the club's camera, it is at the Newtonian focus of a 61 cm f/4 telescope. I looked at the pixel size in an image from the guider chip (Kodak TC-237) and it was 12 x 18. For my camera, running at the Newtonian focus of a 33 cm f/4.5 telescope, it is currently 32 x 32 pixels. (It used to be larger, but I have no record, as I do not save the guider images.) I do remember that it changed suddenly after no modification of settings on my part.

The specs say the chip size is 658 x 496 pixels.

Both cameras are run by CCDSoft, vers. 5 (I believe). The drivers are up to date.

What is going on? How does one control the binning for the guide chip? I have looked all through the menus without finding anything.

Cheers,
    Bob Nelson

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Bob, it sounds like you're getting a sub-frame, typically used to focus on a single star.
    In the Focus Command, check the Frame size is Full.
    In the Grab Command, check the Image Size is Full.
    Also, check the Camera Setup is set to High resolution, and that the binning is 1x1.