U694 calibration

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mike m benjamin, Dec 18, 2019.

1. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

First off, I been using Pixinsight for the past year and a half and have had great luck with my Sbig cameras in the past, this is my first camera with a Sony chip and noticed it seems to require a different calibration process as compared to the ST-10xme, STT-8300m for example. I would think Pixinsight handles bais,darks, flats in the same manner as Maxmin dl. What I've noticed is when I calibrate my light frames in the same manner as I did before my calibrated light frames are severely clipped in the shadows. Trying to narrow down what was causing this is that I cannot use my master bias at all in the calibration process, without it my calibrated lights look fine. Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can't speak to Pixinsight's processing functions, but that doesn't sound right.

There should be NO difference to the calibration process with an Aluma U964. It should work exactly the same as an ST-10XME or STT-8300M.

3. mike m benjamin

As a comparison tomorrow I will figure out how to calibrate my light frames in Maxim to see if I get the same result.

4. mike m benjamin

Doug,

I think it's just my narrowband set, maybe just the Oiii. I've done two images in LRGB, no issues with calibration. The other night I took 20x600 Oiii of IC 410, and I decided to calibrate the stack and this is when I noticed the issue. BTW my narrowband set is a a new set of Astrodon 3nm, the LRGB set is the supplied Sbig brand. The Astrodons come with a ^ marker on the edge but no information on which way to point the arrow. I flipped the filter today and I'll try it again when the clouds clear. I did calibrate the stack in Maxim with the bias frames and had the same issue of clipping.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hopefully the filters are good.

If you can't figure it out, upload some raw calibration and light frames and I'll have a look.

mike m benjamin likes this.
  6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Astrodon and other filters with a V are showing you the light path. So the apex of the V should go toward the camera.
    Further, there may be a shiny side, and that should go toward the scope. It's job is to reflect the unwanted light away.

7. mike m benjamin

Interesting, I just heard from Farpoint, they said that the filters are bi directional as the coating process is applied evenly to both sides. He didn't realize that there was a arrow ^ on the edge surprisingly.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It depends on the vintage of the AstroDon filters. Old (Don Goldman era) AstroDon filters where often made by IDEX, and had different coatings than the current ones made by a different manufacturer.

9. mike m benjamin

The ones I currently own are definitely the newer ones, bought new just a month ago. I had a set of earlier Astrodon 3nm narrowband that had the edges sealed off differently, like they were capped. Different characteristics as well, the older filters needed 3-5 second flats to get the adu around 25000, these new ones are less than a second.