USB over IP for SBIG ST8-XME

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Christof Wiedemair, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Christof Wiedemair

Christof Wiedemair Standard User

Hi,
    recently I started using a new Win10-laptop instead of my old Win7-laptop. However now I have troubles using my ST8-XME from remote. It's not the usual "new driver" problem discussed in the forum! When I attach the USB cam cable directly to my laptop everything is fine, but if I use an USB-over-IP-server (Lanport400 from Sharkoon) I can't connect. The SGIB-cam shows up in the device manager and the fan comes up, but I can't connect to the cam with CCDOps, CCDSoft or any other third party software.
    I also tried to use virtualhere (virtualhere.com) and a RaspberryPI3 (and also a Linux laptop) with the same result. I know form an other guy, who tried virtualhere with two Windows PC's and his SBIG cam, having the same problems. You can find a discussion about the problem here:
    https://www.virtualhere.com/content/sbig-ccd-cam-raspberrypi3#comment-form
    Michael from the virtualhere-forum states that on connection a firmware is uploaded to the cam. Is that true? Can you give Michael any suggestions on how to solve the problem? Or tel me an other clever and cheap way to get my ST8-XME running over ethernet? Your help is highly needed and appreciated!!
    Thank you in advance and best regards
    Christof Wiedemair

2. Christopher Duffey

Christopher Duffey Standard User

Funny, I also tried doing this with a Raspberry PI3, the USB and ethernet are not fast enough - my goal was reliably extending my USB interface. I ended up finding this:
    https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extender-Synchronous-Conference/dp/B01EV33R8S
    It is amazing and I run my STF-8300, ST-i and my mount (iEQ45 Pro) with a serial to USB converter through one single Cat5 cable 100 foot long connected to a Windows 10 laptop

3. Christof Wiedemair

Hi Christopher,
    thank you for the idea with the USB extender. In the past years I also used one as I wrote above, but with Windows 10 it does not work any longer.
    Is it really not necessary to install a driver to use that USB extender as stated on the website?
    May I ask how you know, that the problems are connected to USB and ethernet speed?
    Best regards
    Christof

4. Christopher Duffey

Christopher Duffey Standard User

no driver needed, also works plugged into USB 2.o or 3.0 on the computer side - I spent a lot of time trying to get the Raspberry Pi thing to work - the best I could ever do was get my ZWO ASI-120 to run at about .5 fps. There are several bottlenecks in the Raspberry Pi architecture , 1. The USB and ethernet interfaces are on the same bus controller, 2. you need a real full speed gigabit interface to achieve USB 2.0 data rates. In the end the SBIG driver just did not like running that slow - I could get my ST-i to connect (as well as my STF-8300) but they could not push images. I located my USB to Cat5 converter on the telescope and have very short USB cables running to the cameras - in the end this setup running over a 100' ethernet cable is more reliable than the long USB cable included with my camera

5. Christof Wiedemair

Ok, however I have the same connection problems with a linux laptop connected to the Win10 laptop.
    The extender you propose seems to be the most simple solution... I'll see if i can get it here in Europe.
    Thank you!

6. AlexSplitt

AlexSplitt Standard User

In such a situation, it may be worth changing the software to connect the UBC over the network?
    Rummaged in Google found a few, Flexihub sort of like it should handle. Supports all platforms and OS.