USB Problems after Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Geert Vandenbulcke, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Geert Vandenbulcke

Geert Vandenbulcke Cyanogen Customer

I just "upgraded" my Windows 7 to 10 and see a noticeable longer time between taking an STT-3200ME image and it being displayed on the screen, so I think that what is described above is the cause of all this? I will check this on the observatory PC!

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Probably not it. Selective suspend usually causes the connection to the camera to randomly drop out completely.

Other things to look for: bad USB cables. Bad USB hubs. Also if it's a desktop avoid using USB connectors on the front panel; they are compromised by cheap internal wiring and don't perform well at high speeds. So try a different port on the computer.

On the topic of hubs, desktop hubs do not work properly in cold weather. They use cheap ceramic resonators that go off frequency. That is a common source of poor communications in winter. You have to use an industrial grade hub.

3. Geert Vandenbulcke

Thanks. I'm not using a hub for the STT-3200, the USB cable goes to one of the main USB ports on the back of the PC. With Win7 all was OK, the slower behavior came after Win10 upgrade.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hmm... that sounds like a software problem with your system, then.

Sometimes upgrading your OS doesn't work very well, it's often better to do a fresh Windows install rather than upgrading your old install.

It could be something with your system's USB drivers. Try going to the Device Manager and upgrading them.

Failing that you might need to reinstall Windows.

5. Geert Vandenbulcke

Yes, you are absolutely right. I was still in the timeframe to revert to Windows7 and now everything works as it used to be. Lesson learned, a fresh install of the OS is better than an upgrade as I did to save some time and hassle.

Best regards,
    Geert