Using an ST-8I on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Ian Darroch, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ian Darroch

Ian Darroch Standard User

I hope I have the right forum. I am new to this.

1. I have an ACER Nitro5 computer running Windows 10. It has an SD Card slot, USB 2 and 3 ports and an HDMI port.
    2. The camera is an ST-8I, Serial # 810203107, complete with filter wheel.

What I need to know is what specific brand/part number cable do I need to connect this camera with this computer? Currently, I have a Quatech SPP-100 P/N 930-1025-01E card that adapts the parallel port to an older Windows computer but does not fit my computer. What can I do to make this work?
    I have downloaded the newer software from the Legacy web sight and my computer seems happy with it and I have also downloaded the drivers from the same web sight.
    When I call up the camera software it wants to use a USB port so all I need now is the right cabling, I think.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Ian

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I can't find the records for that camera, but the serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 2001. That would be one of the last parallel port cameras manufactured, as the ST series switched to USB in 2002.

To run this camera you need a proper legacy parallel port, which is accessed through the old ISA bus addresses. Microsoft stopped supporting these ports entirely with the release of Windows Vista in 2006.

USB to parallel port adapters will NOT work, as they are designed to operate printers only.

Your best bet if you want to use this camera is to find a working early 2000's PC, which has a built-in parallel port, and is running Windows XP.

Then you need to install the legacy software for parallel port cameras, which you can find at http://diffractionlimited.com/support/sbig-archives/

3. Ian Darroch

Ian Darroch Standard User

Hi Doug
    Rats, Rats, Rats.
    Thanks for the very quick response. I will break out one of my old lap tops, get tuned up and be off to the races.
    Thanks again.
    Regards
    Ian