Using AO-X with ACP

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by sixburg, Dec 28, 2016.

1. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

This is a question I already posed to Bob at DC-3. I'm asking here too since I've yet to find the answer...it's somewhere between you guys ;-)

Where is the SBIG AO-X setting for Locate (expsoure and binning)? Similarly where is the setting for Track binning?

For the latter question first, I believe this is set in SBIG AO Control | Track (I have it at bin 3 which is what I want). When ACP takes control this stays the same; however in SBIG AO Control | Locate the exposure seems to default to what ever is set in ACP Preferences for minimum guide exposure (5 seconds in my case). There is no setting in ACP Preferences for guider / AO-X binning which switches to bin 1 regardless of what's in the bin field to start. ACP is changing this value.

The problem this causes is slow AO rates (I think). Even with a high SNR guide star the initial locate is 5 seconds bin 1. This has relevance on the final calculated exposure time for the AO unit. If it's too high (say > 0.2s, then the guide rate is <3Hz).

There doesn't seem to be any place to set the Locate bin in Maxim either. The usual settings for guider binning do not work when an AO is present.

Thanks for your help.

-Lloyd

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you're running ACP then it controls everything. I believe you'd have to customize a script, but best ask over in the DC-3 forums.

3. sixburg

Thanks, Doug. Will find out from Bob.

4. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    There are no scripts to customize with ACP (except the nightly observatory start/stop scripts for Expert Scheduler).

ACP never touches CCDCamera.GuiderBinning under any circumstances. We have seen this before (different customers) and it has spontaneously stopped, so I have yet to know the circumstances under which it happens. It has been observed with both AO and conventional guiding. Since I haven't been able to pin it down I haven't reported it.

Once you're back open after New Year, I'd love to get to the bottom of it, as it has been an occasional issue for years.

5. sixburg

Hi Doug...has anyone taken a look at this yet? I've posted a screen video which shows the behavior. If it's not perfectly clear what is happening is I set Locate to Bin 3, ACP does and exposure. Somewhere between these to points Locate Bin goes back to 1. Consequently, the exposure for Track is longer than it needs to be and the AOX speed is slower than it can be.

Where are the controls to set Locate binning other than in the AO Control screen itself?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fppt8o1py5aazmh/AOX.mov?dl=0

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Have you installed the beta and patch?

7. sixburg