Using Lodestar X2 with MaxIm DL

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Kurious George, May 14, 2015.

1. Kurious George

Kurious George Cyanogen Customer

I installed the Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 driver on Win7 and do not see the "Starlight Xpress SXV" option like I see in other guiding software. I only see "SX Universal" as shown in the attached photo. Is that correct or do I need to do an extra step for Lodestar X2 to work with MaxIm DL 6?

Also, is there a tutorial for using Lodestar X2 for guiding with a second imaging camera? In my situation, I use Lodestar X2 for OAG with QSI camera and Orion SSAG camera for a remote finder scope.

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Yes, you can use SX Universal to connect to the SX line of cameras.

The guiding tutorials are generic and cover most cameras.

http://www.cyanogen.com/maxim_tut.php

There may be some camera specific settings that improve guiding but we do not have any details. Perhaps some other users here with this camera can provide some assistance.

3. Kurious George

Kurious George Cyanogen Customer

Thanks. But when I try that driver, image capture is erratic in MaxIm DL. I have to set it to 2-seconds to work, otherwise it never downloads the image. And even when set to 2 seconds, it captures much faster than that. I do not see this problem when using the Lodestar X2 with other guiding software. So I suspect the latest SX Universal driver is not appropriate for the Lodestar X2. The driver has a different name in other guiding software.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You will need to contact Starlight Xpress, as they develop and provide support for the SX Universal plugin.

5. Derek French

Derek French Cyanogen Customer

George

I use the Lodestar X2 with MDL 5.24 and it works fine with the SX Universal driver. I noticed in your screen shot that you have set the Guider field for the Lodestar to No Guider. Mine is set to Guide Head, and my main camera I set to No Guider. That way, the Lodestar does the guiding through the mount, completely independent from the main camera.

Try that and see if it works.

Derek