Voltage drop using MX thru-mount cables

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark Marfoglia, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

I have too much voltage drop using Paramount cables.

I want to splice the power supply directly to the MX plug and eliminate all the connectors and excessive cable lenght, however I noticed that the power supply red and white wires are both positive and the blue and yellow are both negative. Also, at the MX plug they are in fact common wires (red and white tied to both red and black, blue and yellow tied to both green and white, somewhere thru the connectors).

My question is can I tie the red and white wires together as well as the blue and yellow to give me one pos and one neg, without bypassing some electronic safety feature?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You would have to ask Software Bisque about the internal wiring, but yes paralleling up multiple wires will improve the restive losses. You should use the same number of wires on both the +12V and ground.

I have an old ME mount, and I ran my own cables. The built-in wiring was much too small a gauge.

3. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

Thanks for the info Doug, much appreciated.

I carefully traced the circuits with a multimeter to the end points so that I am confident about the connections. I just wanted to be sure it would not create some kind of interference I know nothing about. I hear stories of guys that hook their cameras up to Pyramid power supplies and blow their cameras. I am not an expert, but just trying to apply logic to solve my voltage drop. When the high speed fan kicks in during the summer heat, the first low voltage light is illuminated and things get unstable.

For sure the wire in the MX is way too small for the STX. I may end up doing as you have and remove the stock equipment.

Clear Skies!

4. Slickrock

Slickrock Standard User

Hi Doug,

What kind of cable did you use when you ran your cables?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Individual wires, stranded, large gauge - something like 12. 3 sets to run different things. One just for the camera.

6. Slickrock

Slickrock Standard User

Hmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of running individual wires, but that would be a space saver for sure. Thanks Doug.