Resolved What is off- axis guider angle for STX 16803

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Peter Brack, May 17, 2018.

1. Peter Brack

Peter Brack Cyanogen Customer

I am trying to set up my off- axis autoguider so I can use it with ACP and set up the FOVI in TheSkyX

I am wanting to know what the off-axis autoguider angle is in relation to the main sensor . At the moment in the SkyX it looks like it is set at 0 degrees, but I am having problems with plate solving the right PA in relation to what comes up as PA on FOVI

Is there a standard angle for the STX 16803 off-axis guider or do I need to calculate it through trying to plate solve the autoguider - which is a little tricky due to small FOV

Peter

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The offset from the main chip is adjustable. Also, although we have a recommended installation angle for the FW/Guider assembly, people can bolt it on differently. So there isn't a definitive answer.

Yes the small FOV makes it hard to plate solve. My technique for getting the approximate position is to use the limb of the moon - very easy to find and identify! Once you have figured out the offset, if you want a more accurate position you can point the guider at a dense star field and plate solve.

3. Peter Brack

Hi Doug. I have attached a few images I took of the moon limb and trying to make sense of them. It looks like the camera orientation on the SkyX FOVI, the bottom of the field is to the left. With the guide chip, it must be at the top . So that would make is 90 different than the main chip. I think that is correct.

I then pressed the button in TheSkyX image link which Syncs FOVI to Rotator. Unsure if that is correct things to do or how to proceed exactly.

Peter

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hard to tell much from screenshots. Would be better to post the actual images.

The guider image will be mirror-reversed because, well, it has a mirror. There's a flip option available in Setup / Options if you want to reorient it.

Were the images taken with the telescope in the same position? If so then the guider must be showing the opposite limb.

5. Peter Brack

The images were taken in the same telescope position. Just had a response from Bisque. They have managed to plate solve my auto guider image which I was having trouble doing. So they have said the PA is 91.4 degrees and yes mirrored, and will work out an FOVI for the OAG.

Good news.

Peter