What is wrong with my camera that causes this 'effect' in my pictures?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Chris Madson, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Chris Madson

Chris Madson Standard User

Hey guys,

I've sent this into SBIG when the change was happening (and my camera was still under warranty) but never received a reply back. Does anyone know what's going on with this 'effect'? It looks like banding of some type. It only happens sometimes and it will happen randomly throughout the night. Temperature doesn't seem to be a factor since I've seen in for at least 6 months now. Cabling also doesn't seem to be a factor since, like I said, I can have it appear one night, and not the next regardless of temperature. Keep in mind the camera isn't going through a hub besides the lengthy cable required to go from my computer to the camera itself.

Of note, in the SBIG driver I have 'auto bias correction' enabled and 'asynchronous i/o' not enabled. Is that correct?

I turned on logging just to see if there is something in there that might indicate the issue.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Dear Chris,
    I know the changes in contacts may have caused your email to be missed.
    Can you send a fits image to me until we open on Monday. Being an intermittent
    issue the team may have more questions.
    Thanks
    Tim

3. Chris Madson

Wilco, thanks Tim!

4. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Chris,
    Just small note that all sbig cameras controlled via sbig driver use asynchronous i/o,
    so this checkbox has no meaning and is there from the older drivers. On the other hand,
    the second auto bias correction is active, of course.
    Thank you,
    Jan

5. Chris Madson

Thanks Jan. It seems like a write error from the camera to the computer. I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot it.