Where to find STF-8300C for total begininers?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Michael Corrieri, May 28, 2016.

1. Michael Corrieri

Michael Corrieri Standard User

My 18 yo daughter and I have been dying to do astrophotography, and we ended up buying an STF-8300C on special from Opt. The problem is we are clueless on how to use it properly.

Is there a tutorial that goes through all the settings we would need to have set, and all the steps we would need to take in order to take a picture?

Here's what we have done so far:

The camera is mounted on an astro-tech AT80LE with a moonlite focuser and a televue compression ring extension tube. We've used this before with a Canon DSLR 600D.

On the tube rings is a vixen dovetail and it has a ZWO guide scope mounted with an AS120mm-S autoguider.

The telescope is mounted on an Ioptron Ieq45 pro.

We have everything connected to a USB hub and that is connected to a laptop. On the laptop we have PhD2 and CCDops loaded.

We think we focused. We did a shot of M13 but what we saw on the display in CCDOPS looked horrible compared to our 600D canon. There was a complete lack of fine detail. And we have no idea how to stack the images/process etc. We fumbled with the software and last night at 2:30am gave up.

We need a tutorial that steps us through this, including the settings to use etc. Is there any such thing, or book, or? That uses the SBIG camera and software?

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

3. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Michael,

There are some good youtube videos on how to stack images and calibrate.
    CCDops is a very basic program and not meant to be full featured.

If you want to call I can give you some pointers and some suggestions.

I also give on-screen lessons after hours as well.