Windows 10 version 1709 Feature update - problem with SBIGu64.sys

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Colin Haig, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I encountered a problem after the latest Microsoft Windows 10 update 1709 installed on my test machine.
    This update appears to have broken some things, as feared and anticipated.

Specifically, the SBIGu64.sys driver was somehow removed. The other SBIG camera drivers were intact.
    The fix is simply to make sure you have downloaded the latest SBIG Driver Checker, run it, update, and it will install it back.
    I have no idea why this happened, and haven't yet found a log or anything to explain.

If you do this update, make sure to check your astronomy apps.

In addition to the problem above, it broke a webcam app and broke DC3 Dreams ACP. The ACP fix is simply to make sure you have a backup, then re-install, and you may need to re-enter your license.

If I learn anything new, will update this thread.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Microsoft has really lost their moxy of late. Why did you say "and anticipated"?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Anticipated because am getting used to this crap... not because I predicted issue with any of your stuff.

4. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

I went back to Windows 7 PRO Colin, with only twenty or so clear nights a year on average here on the South coast of the UK I lost half my imaging time since "upgrading" to Windows 10 with problems caused by the Windows 10 updates breaking things, especially it's tendency to install deferred updates half way through an ACP controlled imaging run and stopping ACP dead in its tracks.

Have always been keen in the past to stay up to date with OS releases but have a had a bad experience with Windows 10, at least for the demanding task of running an observatory, so I have been back to Win 7 for the last couple of months and have no plans to try Win 10 again in the near term, as long as MS are still supporting my variant of Win 7 ( Embedded Systems, Win & 64 bit PRO) I shall stick with it until I am forced to change because of some future hardware update that there are no Win 7 drivers for.

William.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

NEW FIX: KB4073291 - The latest from Microsoft to address the RPC authorization level:

(Weirdly dated January 18th, and it just showed up in the KB catalog today 26th).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073291/january-18-2018-kb4073291-os-build-16299-201

It says:
    Addresses issue originally called out in KB4056892 where calling CoInitializeSecurity with the authentication parameter set to RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_NONE resulted in the error STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL.

Not sure if this fixes the situation with TheSkyX, although it might fix ASCOM..
    If you are feeling adventurous or have a VM handy, maybe you can download it standalone and try it.
    Cheers
    Colin