Wireless USB cable replacement?

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Robert Berta, May 31, 2015.

1. Robert Berta

Robert Berta Standard User

I would love to eliminate the last cable from my mount/observatory to my laptop now that I have wireless focusing, wireless mount control, etc. I know I can get a cheap laptop and place it at the mount and connect wirelessly from inside my warm room with my regular laptop. But I would rather use some sort of a dongle at the camera to connect wirelessly. Does anyone make such an item that would work?

2. Brian Atteridge

Brian Atteridge Cyanogen Customer

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Which camera do you have? If it has an Ethernet jack, you might be able to use something like a TP-Link WR-802N in Ethernet (wired) to WiFi bridge mode. It runs off +5V which is easy enough to get from +12V. Unfortunately the transfer rate wont be as fast as high speed USB 2.0 (480Mbps).

4. Brian Atteridge

Sorry apparently i misread what you had posted. In this case a wireless USB hub might work. Also if you are using a DSLR camera you might also try a wireless SD card for the camera. Not sure if the latter will work but i know depending on the Wireless HUB it might. Some of the Gen 1 WiFi hubs however might not since their transmission rate wasn't good enough for some imaging astro-cameras to push data to the PC with but the newer versions might. Haven't tried any recently though so i couldn't say for sure.

5. Brian Atteridge