Access Denied Error

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by jim collins, Sep 9, 2016.

1. jim collins

jim collins Standard User

Hi,
    I have an STi guider camera that seems to be causing an issue.
    My setup is:
    Win 7 Pro OS
    SkyX latest build
    CCDAP5

What has been the issue for about 3 weeks now, is that when I am into an image session for a few hours
    Autopilot has this error:
    I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: COleException: Access is denied.
    (80070005) SCODE: 80070005.
    At this point AutoPilot Crashes.
    I have reported this issue to both SB and CCDWARE..mostly, they have recommended enabling permissions and making sure programs are set to run as administrator.
    I have also tried unistall and reinstall of the SkyX and CCDAP......Even installed programs on another computer entirely.............no luck, still getting the same error.

Last night I removed the STi and setup a SX (superstar guider)..........all went well no error and the image session completed with no issues at all

So, the long and short of it is, I cannot and do not want to use the SX camera (not sensitive enough)
    At this point, I am more than willing buy another STi, as this one is 2-1/2 years old now.

So before I do that...... my question is.......do you think my STi may need repair (maybe new board?) or...
    could their be a driver issue causing this problem???

.....I think that I may have updated the driver just prior to this problem starting. I really can not remember...because using your desktop driver update link is so convenient to use.

JIM

2. Tim Carruthers

Tim Carruthers Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    I have also been suffering form this same error using CCDAP5 and TSX with my setup - I use a STX remote guide head for autoguiding with a AOX. It came on suddenly at the same time as Jim developed his problem

I have not been able to find a solution for around 3 weeks now doing everything that has been recommended to get above this Windows OS issue. I have been using Windows 10 with the latest updates all applied.
    I have also reported this to SB and CCDWare.
    Regards,
    Tim

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Curious. That really sounds like a software issue, not a camera problem. But I don't believe we've made any changes to the STI drivers.

Did you update any software (TSX, Windows, SBIG drivers) prior to this problem appearing?

4. jim collins

I updated SBIG drives prior to this issue.

Also.........Why, when i changed cameras from STi to The SX guider, the problem dissappeared?

BTW.....according to the Checker: sbigdrv.dll 4.94 build 1 08-04-16
    Is there any way to roll back the SBIG driver for the STi camera?

JIM

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  5. Gerald R Miller

Gerald R Miller Standard User

Doug,

I have been helping Jim troubleshoot. The curious thing is that the error is not consistent. It may go three hours, or one before the error occurs. He tried reinstalling the SkyXPro with both the latest version and tried a previous version (9334) that used to work; I confirmed his permissions are correct, and the PC is correctly set up. When that didn't work, he installed SkyXPro and CCDAP5 on a different PC, and had same access denied issue with camera1 (the autoguider). He then ran the autoguider using TheSkyX for five hours just autoguiding with the relays disabled during the day with no errors. But then, that night, using CCDAP5, the access denied error again occurred during the run. I suggested he try a different guide camera and that the only time the issue did not occur. That pretty much narrows it down in my book. Something, and I have no idea what it is, is causing an access denied error only when using the ST-i, and when using CCDAP5 and SkyXPro. That's pretty much the bottom line. Since these issues started about the time the new SBIG drivers came out, I suggested he try an earlier driver for the ST-i, but that's hard to come by with the way the SBIG Driver checker works. If he could eliminate that by using an earlier driver, that is one less suspect to consider to resolve his issue. If the error occurs with an earlier driver, then the hardware is suspect.

For what it is worth, I have an identical system (Win7, ST-i with the latest drivers, SkyXPro (same version) and CCDAP5, and now I have the same problem.

Gerald

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  6. jim collins

Ran a session last night. Now I am getting an entirely new error:
    SGC1 CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1:, SBIG driver: Receive timeout. Error = 30008.
    This is happening after the image downloads and the guider tries to start for the next image.

JIM

7. Gerald R Miller

Well, I am now also in the access denied club.I have the same setup as Jim and after several hours, CCDAP5 crashed. Same exact error. Win7, SkyXPro 10133, ST-i. The error relates to the ST-i.
    The error:

01:10:09 I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: COleException: Access is denied.
    (80070005) SCODE: 80070005.

It points to the ST-i that has the issue (camera.1 is the autoguider). I've already tried everything I could think of to help Jim. I have no idea where to look at this point.

This error started after upgrading the SBIG driver, SkyX to version 10133, and CCDAP5 to the latest version. Can't say which is the guilty update since all were done at the same time, but one thing seems to be certain, as Jim tried a different guide camera and the error did not occur, so that tends to point to SBIG driver, or something that involves the ST-i. Since we both have the exact same issue, I think that rules out the hardware.

Gerald

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. Gerald R Miller

I would like to eliminate each upgrade I did and restore the PC to a point before this error started. Is there a way to roll back the SBIG Aug 4 driver to the previous driver? I have manually restored SkyX to 9334 (although Jim did this to no avail), and I'm asking John Smith if he can provide the previous version of CCDAP5. Then, I will upgrade them one at a time to see what is causing this issue, and who to direct the fix.

I do not believe the issue can be resolved by any end user. It is, in my opinion, something in one of these upgrades that is causing this issue, based on the fact that multiple users are having the exact same issue, and they all started at the same time.

9. Gerald R Miller

Using 9334 and CCDAutopilot5 with an earlier version the same error occurred. This time, however, I discovered after clearing the CCDAutopilot error message box that the telescope was disconnected. When I tried to reconnect it I could not do so. When I tried to close the SkyX I got a new message box warning the chart could not be saved. Sure enough, if I tried to save it, I could not do so. I exited without saving and restarted SkyX. Now it acted like a first time it ever started up asking for a serial number. It seemed not to recognize the SkyX settings in the documents folder. I had a backup copy, deleted the old file and replaced it with the backup, and the SkyX started normally. It may be that for some reason the inability to read/write the files in the document folder may be likely what is causing CCDAutopilot to crash. Or the crash causes it no longer to be read or written to. Maybe this will help to determine what is causing this error.

Now, the only variable to test is the SBIG driver pre-August release if I can get a copy

10. Gerald R Miller

Ok, Doug, I located on an older laptop the previous driver dated 9/23/2014. I presume it is the SBIGUDrv.dll. Can I simply plug in the camera, and the update the driver in Device Manager?

Also, I updated the firmware. Is there a way to reload the old firmware st-iusb.bf2 back into the ST-i? If so, how is that accomplished.

Since I have had the same issue with SkyX's earlier version, CCDAP5's earlier version, with these older drivers and firmware, it should put me back to where I was before all this started.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The firmware is loaded when the camera is plugged in. It isn't stored in the camera at all. So whatever firmware file you have on the computer is what will run on the camera.

12. jim collins

Hi Doug,
    I will be the first to try an older ver driver (9-23-2014) tonight. So I replaced the SBIGUDrv.dll (8-4-2016) with older one dated (9-23-2014)
    Do I need to unistall driver in Device Manger.......then do an install...and browse to the older driver in the DLL folder.

JIM

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The firmware is a separate file from the driver. It's the st-iusb.bf2 file.

14. jim collins

Hi Doug,
    Yes I understood the procedure for the Firmware.
    I was asking about rolling back the driver.
    We have and earlier Driver version.......so do we just copy it to DLL folder?

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'd recommend against rolling back the Cypress low-level drivers (Device Manager). Our camera-specific code is in the DLL... should work to just copy that over.

16. jim collins

Thanks Doug............will do. JIM

17. Gerald R Miller

Rolling back to SkyX version 9334, and an earlier version of CCDAP5, and the ST-i driver dated in 2013, (the driver just prior to Aug 4, 2016 update), Jim informed me he did not get the access denied error in the SkyX. Problem solved, right?

Nope. Now, instead, he got a SBIG timeout error from the ST-i after several hours into the automated run using CCDAP5. I don't know if that's progress, but at least the access denied issue has gone away. The problem definitely is related to how SkyX and the ST-i are communicating, and the latest driver created in Aug 2016 must have impacted that in some way. I think, Doug, you guys need to take a look at the latest driver again, as there definitely was a difference in what error is thrown from the previous driver and and the later driver in Aug 4, 2016, which is what I suspected all along. For what it is worth, he also used the older firmware version dated 2013.

I was not able to test using the same versions because of clouds, so I cannot confirm yet if the older driver resolved my issue or not.

Gerald

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you could swap components in and out maybe you could figure out which one is causing the error. That would be a huge first step to solving it for good.

19. Gerald R Miller

Doug, until I have an chance to test out the earlier version with my hardware, we cannot be sure the older driver did not resolve the issue. But it could, as Jim uses an extension cable, and from my experience, those can sometimes cause issues with the ST-i (although he had no issue prior to the time with the same hardware).

What components are you referring that we swap? The only thing that affected the error was swapping the earlier driver for the ST-i. We tested with the earlier version of SkyXPro (from 10133 back to 9334, a version that had previously worked). Same issue. We swapped CCDAP5 for an earlier working version plus 9334. Same issue again. We swapped PC's. Same issue with the same versions. We changed out the ST-i camera for a different guider camera. Issue vanished, so it definitely was related to SBIG ST-i. Swapped the ST-i back in. Issue returned. Swapped drivers. Issue now timeouts, but access denied issue gone.

What more can we swap? I think this definitively points to some interaction between the ST-i (or SBIG' driver) and the SkyXPro that is causing an access denied issue and maybe a timeout issue if the previous driver is used. As to which is the cause I have no idea. I just know that with the ST-i and the SkyXpro, there is some problem causing these errors. I don't know what else we can swap to try to isolate or resolve it. But it remains a serious issue that is keeping these cameras (and other SBIG products) from working correctly with SkyXPro, or perhaps, keeping SkyXPro from working correctly with SBIG cameras. :) Not sure which to put the blame at this point, but the ST-i worked fine with 9334 before this issue came up.

Let me know if I'm missing something. I just am confused as to what you want me to swap out.

Gerald

20. Doug

Doug Staff Member

By "driver", do you mean just the DLL? Or did you also change the firmware?