STXL Timeout Errors

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Robert Mueller, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Mueller

Robert Mueller Standard User

No apology required.....I'm happy to hear it is being worked on.
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. Kevin Morefield

Kevin Morefield Cyanogen Customer

Here to weigh in with the same issues. My STX disconnects nightly on focus runs (Not all focus runs, but nightly none-the-less). The STX was installed new into the same system my STT performed without disconnects. All USB connections have been tested with different cables and currently the camera is direct connected to the PC. Connection drops occur on ethernet as well.

Using TSX and CCDAP, the STX and FW7 wheel. All drivers are up to date and the firmware is up to date. I've disconnected the STX guider and AO as that was not working and I was concerned that it was sending noise into the system. Saving that problem for later since I can't keep the camera connected.

At first I was pleased to see this thread from earlier in the year assuming that there would be a solution contained! Dis-heartened to see that as of late August no resolution is found.

What can I do to assist in finding a solution? I will try logging the errors tonight. This is a remote install so if SBIG would like they can directly inspect the system.

Thanks,

Kevin

3. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Tim/Doug

With the timeout issues associated with the STXL11002 and FW8G remaining unresolved (now over 2 years for me),what level of confidence do you have that the same issues will not arise with this camera. I ask because I want one of these cameras but I am not going anywhere near it until you fix the current problems.

Thanks
    Martin Pugh

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What is the serial number on your camera?

5. Kevin Morefield

Doug,

SN = x16040021

Thanks,

Kevin

6. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Martin,

I tried to call you yesterday and today.
    Lest voice mail.

I wanted to make sure you have applied all updates and ask you some questions.

Best regards
    Tim

7. Kevin Morefield

I managed to capture a SBIG log file and TSX black box log at the time of tonight's crash on focus. Would it be helpful to upload to you?

Thanks,

Kevin

8. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Kevin,

Can you email the log file to me. I can receive a 20 meg file to my address.
    I can get it to Doug and the team.

Thanks
    Tim

9. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Retired Staff

Hi All,

Please see Adam's post regarding a test version. Hopefully this will move us a step closer to solving the problem. Apparently the error message is misleading, so some changes have been made to report errors in better detail.

Thanks.

- Owen -

10. Martin Pugh

Hi there - sorry for the cross-post.
    is there anyone out there that currently owns the new STXL16200 and can state whether he/she has seen the timeout errors that remain unresolved on the STXL11002?
    Thanks
    Martin

11. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Martin,

We're in an active investigation with the TX Timeout issue, and recently released a driver with increased logging capabilities to help us pin down the source of the errors. We are waiting on affected users to return some logs to us before we can proceed, and we haven't received any logs from anyone yet. If you're able, collecting a log using the latest SBIGUDrv release, and sending it in would go a long way to make sure it's fixed for all cameras.

Cheers,
    -Adam

12. Martin Pugh

That doesnt answer the question I asked Adam

I asked specifically about the same issue occuring with the STXL16200.

thanks
    Martin

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Martin,

We have had no problem reports related to the STXL-16200. There are some major differences between the two cameras, as the KAI-11002 is an interline sensor and the KAF-16200 is not; however, there are also many similarities.

So I cannot guarantee that you wouldn't have the same issues with the 16200. Especially since only a couple of customers are reporting this problem - it may be related to something specific to your computer hardware or operating system/driver installation.

Since this is a rare issue, and as such we cannot replicate the problem here, we're going to need your help to solve it. If you can help Adam with the logging test, we might be able to catch the problem "red handed" and sort it out for once and all. Without your help we are really in the dark - it's all but impossible to fix a problem you can never see.

Doug

14. Martin Pugh

Doug
    thanks for the info re the 16200.

I do not necessarily agree that it is a couple of customers reporting this problem judging by the amount of posts on the subject and I continue to suffer Receive or Transmission Timeout camera hangs nightly.

I still do not understand the persistent suggestion that is a computer hardware, O/S or driver issue because:

The camera is USB operated and plugged directly into a native USB port - no hubs.
    The O/S is Windows 7, fully patched and updated.
    Driver issue - well, you provide the drivers!

I experienced hangs from day 1 of operation - Apr 2014 and have lost countless hours of imaging time at a site where I pay princely sums of money to have my scope hosted there.

All that said - I would be disappointed if all of those people who are having these issues have not yet provided you with logs. How disappointing for you.

I will not let you down however, and I have installed the new driver a few moments ago and will collect logs tonight.

One thing Adam has not specified is what logs he wants collected. The document he provided states to select 'All' but a few remain unchecked including 'Camera'. So, I have manually selected them all.

regards
    Martin

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Thank you. Yes we haven't received back logs from anyone yet, so we're still flying blind here.

The camera will probably operate a bit slower with logging turned on. Please put up with that for an evening. If we can catch the problem and figure it out, that will pay dividends for all of us.

16. Robert Mueller

Quick update....I ran a 4 hour daytime test with imaging and autoguiding exposures running in The Sky X and Enhanced Logging. As expected downloads are extremely slow 5X normal. I had no errors. I then did a 6 + hour automated imaging run with CCDAP controlling the session. Not very productive with slow downloads but once again no error to catch.

This has me wondering...since most of my timeout errors and some recent Coleexception access denied errors seem to occur most when camera or autoguider is taking rapid succession images. Is it possible that the slow download times keep error from occurring?

In any case no errors caught yet for me.
    Robert Mueller

17. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Unfortunately that likely implies a timing error, which doesn't make catching it with logging turned on impossible — just less probable.

18. Robert Mueller

Adam,
    To back that idea of a timing error, last night I tried an imaging run without error logging turned on. # hours in I got this error inside of CCDAP and a host of Timeout errors in The Sky X.

Excerpt from CCDAP log:
    23:44:53 Download time: 19.6 sec., cooler at -15.0 °C, 14% power.
    23:44:53 Hour Angle: 3.7
    23:44:54 Exposure 2 of 3
    23:44:56 Assess Crescent_A9_H2x2-15W_300s.01791.fit, 5.26 a-s, 17.0%, 330 ADU, passed
    23:44:56 Guider stopped.
    23:44:56 Dither: 2.1, 0.0
    23:45:07 Guide Error X: 0.32, Y: 0.09
    23:45:08 Altitude: 45.4°
    23:45:08 Hour Angle: 3.8
    23:45:09 Crescent_A9, exposing...
    23:47:50 I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: COleException: Access is denied.
    (80070005) SCODE: 80070005.
    23:47:51 *** Aborting session due to data acquisition failure
    23:47:51 I:GR1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: COleException: Access is denied.
    (80070005) SCODE: 80070005.
    23:47:51 Get Guider Running status failed.
    23:47:51 Attempting to close FlipFlat
    23:47:52 Attempting to park telescope

Because this error occurred during an image, autoguiding was also running.

Not sure this helps. Tonight I will repeat with SBIG enhanced Error logging on.

Thanks,
    Robert Mueller

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  19. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We're finally getting some traction on the problem. It's looking like a possible firmware glitch. Investigation continues...

20. Robert Mueller

So I again ran a fully automated session as previously described and had SBIG enhanced logging on. No errors. So for me two runs without logging had camera errors and two runs with logging no errors. Starting to look like a pattern.

Tonight I will run again with no logging and see how it goes.
    Robert Mueller