Autoguider Calibration Problem

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Brack, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Brack

Brack Standard User

Hi Bill

I am trying to calibrate for autoguding for the first time my STX 16803 bought last year.

Am using latest build SkyX for windows. Everything else seems to work, besides intermittent crashing of the program.

I keep getting the exact same error message, saying not enough movement in +X, increase the time. It doesnt matter how much time this is increased , it still reads the same. I have included a diagram which looks like a problem in moving in +X only.

I have yet to check the lights on the back of the STX but will do so this weekend to see if they are working. I will also try changing the autoguider cable, and also try using direct guide- it is on a paramount ME

Any other suggestions. Does this look like a camera fault type picture?

Kind Regards

Peter

IMG_1125.jpg

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I run TSX as well, and suggest you post over there. Make sure you are running 10.5.0 build 10554 (assuming you are running Pro). Likely you have the wrong cable wiring - it probably needs to be flipped.

3. Brack

Brack Standard User

I did try there but didn't get any helpful response. Am not sure what you mean about flipping the cable wiring.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

He means the "ST-4" RJ-12 guider cable. Unfortunately the cables can be built with two different orientations, so either Pin 1 goes to Pin 1, or Pin 1 goes to Pin 6.

5. Brack

Brack Standard User

Oh I see. I think I have another cable I can try and see if that works. Thank you both

6. Brack

Brack Standard User

Hello again.

I changed the autoguide cable first. I had noticed the mount was making the little clicking noises on some of the directions. I changed the cable and then I couldn't hear the mount clicking noises . With both cables the relays on the camera would light up when in use.
    I came up with the same error though using the camera relays to try to calibrate, see screenshots, saying not enough movement in +X only. I then switched to Direct Guide mode instead of the camera relays and thought if there was a cable or camera issue this would be revealed. But I had exactly the same problem with direct guide as using the relays.
    I have two cables, one is black and one is grey - does the SBIG come with a black cable as that is the one which wasn't working as well, although both have given me the same issues in +X, and also using Direct Guide hasn't made it any better.
    Also are the camera relays lights on the camera - on mine they just come on when using that relay- I assume that is correct.

I have attached the screenshots. Unsure what else to do. I don't know if buying Maxim is going to help at all?

Peter

Attached Files:

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Peter, did you check the ends of the cable to see if they are different?
    Here's a little drawing I made that might help:
    Autoguidercable.png
    The color of the cable sheath (black, grey, silver) has nothing to do with it. The critical part is which way its internal wiring is arranged.

8. Brack

Brack Standard User

Hi Colin

One cable was like you said and the other was different so this helped thank you
    Also I hadn't had the settings correct to inage on full frame for calibration and once I did that it made things easier and managed to calibrate and autoguide

Peter