CCDOPS - Filter Naming

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Jeff Kaufman, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jeff Kaufman

Jeff Kaufman Standard User

Using the latest version of CCDOPS under Windows 10.

For some reason, I can rename a filter but CCDOPS will not save that new name nor will it include the new name in the FITS file when an image is taken using that filter.

Any thoughts?

-Jeff

2. Joseph Zeglinski

Joseph Zeglinski Standard User

Jeff,

As I have posted before, CCDOPS requires "special procedures" to rename the existing RGBL filters, from the default ones.

First, your changed names won't "stick" between sessions, unless you RUN AS ADMIN, then make the changes, shut down, and restart CCDOPS normally every time after making those edits. The admin mode is required to bypass its "lock on the default filter names", once, during the renaming process.

Second, some of its own tools EXPECT the original filter name to be even partially "embedded" in the new filter name.
    For example, I found that Color Grab would not move the filter wheel to the next of its 4 positions, UNLESS, the names I chose had "some" of the original name in the new one.

I could rename the RED filter to "SII-RED", for a narrowband filter name, or it will even take a name like "REDiculous" - has worked in my tests of this bug, as a viable filter name. Although, I recall there may be an 8-character limit to the names.
    - Seems CCDOPS searches each filter position name for a sub-string, containing the original default filter name (RED, GREEN, BLUE, LUM (?), CLEAR) that was built into the software.

Would be nice if this limitation could be easily changed in future updates. But, I suspect the software would then have to change to "position counting" relative to a wheel HOME position - which is in fact the RED filter's position every time.

Joe Z.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Jeff Kaufman

Hi Joseph:

Looks like your response was cut off.

-Jeff

4. Joseph Zeglinski

Sorry, Jeff.

I have a habit of hitting the TAB key on paragraphs, when creating documents, which many forum software can't handle properly. It tabs the keyboard to the next field, which might be the POST or exit box.
    I retyped my reply above. Hope it helped.
    Joe

5. Jeff Kaufman

Thanks for your help Joseph. Very much appreciated!

6. Jeff Kaufman

Joseph, I also had another question on displaying images when zoomed-in on CCDOPS. Perhaps you may know the answer to this as well?
    Thanks!
    -Jeff

7. Joseph Zeglinski

ADDENDUM:
    Just wanted to add one more thing about "RENAMING FILTERS" in CCDOPS - and also how to force CCDOPS to start up and move the filter wheel to YOUR own chosen starting filter. It saves time, in having to do this manually every run time. As installed, CCDOPS defaults to the RED filter, but oyu can change this.

When you run CCDOPS ... "As Administrator" to make the renaming stick - the names can actually be 9-character names, not just 8, as I had originally stated .

You should NOTE that the LAST filter you positioned manually, before exiting CCDOPS "Admin Mode", then becomes the "Default" ... FIRST filter position.

It doesn't have to remain RGBL. (This is NOT documented anywhere).

I renamed my default (RGBCL) camera wheel filters to "9-character", Narrowband names, (spaces included)
    (NB: if you rename them, the original name HAS to be blended in there, somewhere, as well):

Filter_1 = SII Red
    Filter_2 = H-A Green
    Filter_3 = OIII Blue
    Filter_4 = Clear
    Filter_5 = IDAS Lunar

However - I wanted CCDOPS to "always startup" by selecting my (renamed "Lunar") IDAS LUNAR, (LPR), filter, for initial focussing in the city light polluted sky.

The trick was to position the CCD filter wheel to this renamed filter, then immediately exit CCDOPS.
    The next time it runs ... now in Normal Windows mode ... that LAST filter is remembered, and automatically "rotates into position", (every time ), as part of the normal CCDOPS starting initialization.

HTH,
    Joe Z.