STL-11000 Can it firmware be Updated?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Joseph Zeglinski, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Joseph Zeglinski

Joseph Zeglinski Standard User

Hi,
    As is often recommended, I decided to update the STL camera Windows Drivers and Firmware.
    However, when I ran the updater, and clicked on the button to read back its present firmware rev., it says "Found a camera that doesn't require firmware Updates".

Its presently running Firmware rev. 2.2 - if that matters.

Is that message saying there is no "new firmware" revision for this model, or is it because the STL series was NEVER even "capable of being updated" with a downloaded firmware file?
    Otherwise, is there a pluggable firmware chip that can be installed in the camera, to upgrade it from its 2007 build?

I'd like to know, so I can stop wasting my time going through this probably futile task from now on.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The firmware for the old ST and STL series cameras is not resident in the camera at all. It's loaded into the camera from the computer during the USB boot-up process. So whatever you have on your drive (courtesy SBIG Driver Checker) is what is going into the camera.

3. Joseph Zeglinski

Joseph Zeglinski Standard User

[
    Joe[/QUOTE]
    Hi Doug,
    So ... based on your answer, that message in the DriverChecker program is just confirming that the Vintage camera models Firmware is currently fine, and likely "frozen", with no further fixes available ... and likely none to come in future DriverChecker updates as well.
    Answers my original question about installing STL (etc.) firmware.

Hopefully, future revisions of DriverChecker, won't drop the STL and other vintage model Firmware code sections - causing all these old cameras to suddenly stop working without a boot time USB initialization, Firmware install every time. Something to be careful about.

Thanks,
    Joe

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes the STL firmware was frozen some years ago. The DriverChecker will maintain its current compatibility moving forward.