ST-8300C driver and OS X Yosemite

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Les Varga, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

I updated my MAC to the latest OS X Yosemite. All of my applications and other astronomy related software are functioning normally. However, I seem to have a problem now where my ST-8300C is not being recognized and I am unable to connect to it. To insure that if wasn't a camera issue, I connected it to a Win 7 and a Win 8 based PC and had no issues. Can you help me? Does the driver need to be updated or is there some setting that needs to revert back to a previous setting or something like that?

Thanks,
    Les Varga
    Georgia, USA

2. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

I think the issue is that Yosemite requires signed kernel extensions. You can by-pass this using this command in Terminal.app :

sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=1"

It'll ask for your password.
    After that, reboot and try again. And let us know if it works. If it does I might update to Yosemite as this is the only thing (SBIG drivers) that seems to not work out of the box from what I read a multiple astronomy forums.
    Once SBIG publish a signed driver you can revert the above command with :

sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=0"

Regards, Rodolphe

3. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

Hello Rodolphe,

Thanks very much!! It worked. I will watch for an updated driver and revert back using the command above.

Best Regards,

Les Varga

4. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Les,
    Could you let me know version of your SBIG driver you use with ST-8300 camera on your Mac machine ? Also, please do not upgrade SBIG driver on your Mac from SBIG web page now. It seems there are some problems with uploading firmware to cameras like ST-8300, while it works well with cameras which have their firmwares in eeproms. We are working on this issue.
    Thank you,
    Jan

5. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

Jan,

Yes I will wait. Also I am not 100% sure about the "temporary" fix yet as well. I will follow up.

Regards,

Les

6. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

Jan,
    I forgot to answer your primary question. I don't know which driver I have actually. It's been a few years since I even thought about it. I don't know how to determine which version either. Something is not working with firmware updater. It doesn't see the camera and I can't update any firmware. I need to recheck the command entered into the terminal app again...the red LED now comes on but Nebulosity is not seeing the camera. It did once but not again after that initial success.
    Regards,
    Les

7. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

Jan,
    Last message from me on this until we see an updated driver I guess. I can confirm that the command you gave me to enter into the terminal does work. I am able to connect to the camera in Nebulosity.
    Thanks again,
    Les

8. Jan Soldan

Les,
    you can see your SBIGUDrv.framework version following the next few steps:
    1) Open "Finder" and switch to /Library/Frameworks directory. You will see "SBIGUDrv.framework" file.
    2) Click right mouse button on "SBIGUDrv.framework" file and select "Get Info" to see SBIGUDrv.framework Info file.
    3) In "General:" section, there is a line named: "Version:". My shows "SBIG Universal Driver Framework Version 4.84, Copyright 2011-2014 SBIG" string.
    4) Please let me know your Framework Version.

Thank you,
    Jan

9. Jan Soldan

To Mac OSX users:
    I finally see some problem with SBIGUSBLoader (USB Boot), which should upload *.hex and *.bin firmwares to SBIG ST/STL/ST-402 cameras. I see this problem in our latest SBIGUDrv.framework distribution, version 4.84, we have released month or two ago. I work on it and will release updated framework ASAP when fixed. So, please wait.

Thank you,
    Jan

10. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

Jan,
    Sorry I am not very MAC savvy. I could not find the framework however it seems you have figured out the problem. We really appreciate your quick action to update it! Thanks very much!
    Best Regards,
    Les

11. Jan Soldan

Les,

it seems there is no bug inside the SBIG Mac driver loader. What helped to upload firmware to the ST-8300 was very easy, so please try the next few steps and let me know if it works or not.
    I have tested it with my ST-8300 and ST-1603 cameras with the Mac framework v.4.84 we have on SBIG web page.

So, please try:

1) open terminal window and execute the next two commands (2 & 3), each followed by Enter button. The sudo (superuser priviledges) will ask you for password.
    2) sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    3) sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.aple.kext.caches/Startup

than:
    4) reboot your system
    5) switch on your ST-8300 and you should see blinking its red LED which signals that firmware is uploading.
    6) run CCDOPS Lite application

Best Regards,
    Jan

12. Jan Soldan

Hi,

as known, Yosemite requires signed kernel extensions, so we have to sign our kernel extension SBIGUSBLoader.kext and SBIGUSBEDriver.kext drivers to allow upload firmwares to our older cameras (ST-402 series, ST-8300, STL). All newer cameras like ST-i, STF, STT and STX/L should work without any problems, because they do not utilize any kernel drivers. We are working on signing, but this may takes some time. In the meantime, please use command: sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=1" propoesed by Rodolphe above.

Thank you,
    Jan

13. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

Jan,
    I am operating ok now with what Rodolphe proposed. Otherwise I am away from my equipment but I will have a look tonight when I am home and report back to you after I perform the following steps above ok.
    Best Regards,
    Les

14. Dave Hutchison

Dave Hutchison Standard User

Thanks all for this suggestion. It all worked perfectly. I am glad to see Diffraction Limited getting timely support out on this. Since I have given up on Windows for most of my other work, I am very limited on cameras I can use for AstroPhoto. Its good to see the SBIG cameras continued to be supported.

Dave

15. Jan Soldan

Dave,
    Diffraction Limited will continue to support Mac OSX, of course.
    Regards,
    Jan